Hi people I'm new,,,,,,,but not shiny!!!

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hi people I'm new,,,,,,,but not shiny!!!

Postby keith157 » 05 Aug 2011, 14:21

Hi all, like steelman I had no idea this auspicious society existed, but hey I'm here. Okay, I'm a 55 year-old, married with a 22 year old daughter. I'm semi retired having spent 32 years working for Her Majesty, and have a part-time job doing admin from home via a computer.
I started out, as I suppose most people do, with what we Brits call BBQ. That is to say burgers, bangers and burnt bits (occasionally and only at the beginning, honest :oops: ). Many, many, many years ago I saw the Outdoorchef 8-) range of BBQs at the Ideal Home Show. Yes for the youngsters amongst us the show really did have to do with useful home based ideas rather then hair and nails and the odd feng-shui stall. Having seen and sampled it's wares I eventually bought one (Ascona 57cm) 5 years ago. Before that I had a succession of own brand bbqs, both gas & charcoal. I was now happy, I could grill and slow roast and my lot in life was content :D . Then my boss bought me a small smoker box last year (about 8"x3"x1.5") and I got it to work, not easy on a kettle gas bbq. I made a trip to a BBQ shop off the A1 in Bedfordshire, and got hooked onto the idea of "smoke-roasting". This coincided with Primal Grill being shown on Sky and the rest is history. Expensive history as a Weber One Touch and a host of bits n pieces followed.
I've had some small successes but longed for like minded, but more experienced people, to chat with.
Okay I'm based in Stevenage in Hertfordshire just off the A1(M) so if anyone smells aromatic burning around there it's possibly me :lol:
That's about it for now. I hope I've not bored any reader but, if you've been here a while you've probably forgotten your inner joy at knowing this place exists, not to mention shows etc. ;)
keith157

Re: Hi people I'm new,,,,,,,but not shiny!!!

Postby oddsocks » 05 Aug 2011, 14:53

hey keith, hope you enjoy it here! i can honestly say that the folk on here are really friendly and helpful, and you will learn a lot from reading past posts, particularly on the 'help' section.
oddsocks
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 05 Aug 2011, 16:24

Hi Keith,

Welcome to the Forum, quite pertinent really as my first encounter with an outdoor chef was this year. They look like a solid piece of kit. Look forward to reading your posts.

Regards

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby JEC » 05 Aug 2011, 17:33

Welcome to the forum.
JEC

Postby dronfield BBQ Ranch » 05 Aug 2011, 20:41

GHi Dude, keep on bbqing!!! not sure if thats a word but who in here gives a dam as long as you enjoy it and have found the bbq bug. :lol: :D :lol:
dronfield BBQ Ranch
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 06 Aug 2011, 10:03

dronfield BBQ Ranch wrote:GHi Dude, keep on bbqing!!! not sure if thats a word but who in here gives a dam as long as you enjoy it and have found the bbq bug. :lol: :D :lol:

I find citronella stops the bugs.........oh yes sorry wrong bug ;)
It's been a great eye opener, I've been on other sites (not bbq) where if you weren't there to start it you weren't really welcome. This is so different..... :D
keith157

Postby LM600 » 06 Aug 2011, 21:27

Welcome Mate!

You're not far from Beds BBQ Centre, they're near Sandy on the A1 north
LM600

Postby keith157 » 08 Aug 2011, 07:05

LM600, yes I've had a good look at them, and bought my first bag of Heatbeads on their recommendation (along with a few "essentials" as well ;) ). They seem very knowledgeable and helpful. Looking forward ti buying more "essentials" in the near future :lol:
keith157

Postby clairbare » 08 Aug 2011, 07:35

Welcome to the Forum, you have come to the right place :D
clairbare
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby keith157 » 10 Aug 2011, 09:09

Thanks for the welcome messages, it took a while to find you, hope to meet some of you at the BBQ Finals at the end of the month
keith157

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself