hi from sunny bristol

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

hi from sunny bristol

Postby bbqstu » 25 Jul 2011, 08:22

Hi I'm Stu and after attending grillstock on bristols harbourside
This summer I have been truly bitten by the smoking bug
Any advice on a abc can't mess this up starter kit will be gratefully
Received many Thanks in advance
bbqstu
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: hi from sunny bristol

Postby JEC » 25 Jul 2011, 08:51

Hello and welcome from a fellow West Countryman. I went to Grillstock it was a good day out and would imagine a few people walked away with a new hobby (obsession). Not knowing if you're a compete beginner or already have BBQ kit I would recommend the below to start

Weber 57cm Kettle (can be used to smoke and grill)
Weber Chimney Starter the easiest way to light charcoal
A good pair of BBQ tongs and a BBQ fish slice aka a flipper
Good quality charcoal, not instant lighting, I use natural lump or Supagrill Charcoal Briquettes
A meat thermometer, instant read if possible
This list could be endless but the above will get you going, once you know if it's your thing I would recommend a Weber Smokey Mountain

Have fun
JEC

Postby JEC » 25 Jul 2011, 10:54

Almost forgot a grill brush, makes life easier when you come to clean the grill grate and means you don't end up with your food sticking to the grill and ruining all your hard work
JEC

Postby bbqstu » 25 Jul 2011, 18:13

Thank you for the tips
I did briefly say hello at grillstock and if my ribs come out half as good
As some I tasted there I don't want to cured :D
bbqstu
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Eddie » 25 Jul 2011, 18:44

Welcome to the world of low and slow. WSM's are quite expensive, to start off with, and what is actually easier on the pocket is a PRO Q Excel 20. Some people don't like them, but I've got 3. They are a little bit like old cars, you will find the best way to cook with them with practice and a lot of love.

Eddie
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby bbqstu » 26 Jul 2011, 08:39

I'm looking to add a smoker. And it seems to be a 2 way fight between the weber and proQ models
The wsm is too pricey for me at the mo the Excel seems to big the frontier or amigo really look good
But are they the same material and quality as the Excel? I only made the Sunday at grillstock a beer fest on Saturday
Held my attention. The amount of information that was quite openly available from the top Chefs
Was brilliant perhaps to much with the hangover I was enjoying but ribs and chicken sorted that out :lol:
bbqstu
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 26 Jul 2011, 09:42

Personally I'd start with a kettle until you know that it's your thing, you can do truly excellent food using the right method with just the kettle, the bullet style smoker just adds extra capacity to the mix and in the long term once you've mastered the vents a little less baby sitting. You cannot fault the WSM build quality you really do get what you pay for!! On the Pro Q front the excel is made from thicker steel than the other 2 units, the amigo has no bottom vents so temp control can be difficult, the frontier is enamel coated steel the same as the excel but just thinner. I like Eddy's summary the Pro Q Is like an old car you need to look after it, personally I prefer my new audi and the build quality and reliability it offers, some would say it has no character though!!

You will always use the Weber Kettle even once you've bought a bullet smoker as everyone wants burgers and sausages when they come for BBQ
JEC

Postby esselle » 26 Jul 2011, 09:59

Hi and welcome to the forum.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Swindon_Ed » 26 Jul 2011, 11:43

Hi Stu, Welcome to the forum.

I know Bristol well, although i live in Swindon, my office is in Bristol city centre.

bbqstu wrote:I'm looking to add a smoker. And it seems to be a 2 way fight between the weber and proQ models
The wsm is too pricey for me at the mo the Excel seems to big the frontier or amigo really look good
But are they the same material and quality as the Excel?

I have both an ProQ E20 and a WSM and personally i prefer the E20. I've not cooked on a Frontier, but have been looking at them recently as an addition to my collection. From what i've heard from people i've spoken to about them, they're very good & for £160 i think it'll be hard to beat.

I don't know much about the Amigo so i can't really comment on it.
Swindon_Ed

Postby Eddie » 26 Jul 2011, 15:20

Hi, if you do decide on the Pro Q excel 20. Toby has been known to sell one or two and at a good price as well. Why give him a PM and mybe he will be able to help you out.

Regards

Eddie
Eddie
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself