Hello From Bradford

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Hello From Bradford

Postby swebbo » 05 Jul 2011, 21:06

Hi All

I'm Stu from Bradford. I'm a BBQ newbie other than cooking sauasages on a £20 bbq from B&Q, so joining a UK forum where I hope I can get great advice when needed. Would have joined an american one, but I dont know what a cup is and can't do farenheit :?

Just got my weber 57cm kettle premium, already had some success with home made burgers and butchers bought sausages, that went down well. Then tried some ribs from the butchers. made a nice chinese marinade but had real trouble keeping the temp so low for so long, I think I turned the coals off at least 3 times and had to reignite during cooking (too many coals to begin with I suspect). Anyway turned out ok, but sh1t there was a lot of fat on those ribs. Must find better butcher!

Hope it's gonna be a great long summer for BBQ'ing

Cheers
Stu
:mrgreen:
swebbo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Hello From Bradford

Postby Curlie028 » 05 Jul 2011, 23:07

Hi Stu and welcome.
You are in the right place if you love BBQ and have questions about BBQ.
I am also a Newbie but since joining 3 weeks ago, I've taken my BBQ skills up multiple levels. And I used to think I was good :lol:
The guys on here are passioniate about spreading the BBQ word and are as friendly and helpful a bunch you will ever come across.
My amateur answer on the coals (and the guys will jump in and correct me,if I am wrong) is you need to get better quality charcoal. In my pre BBBQ days I used the stuff you get in Tescos or B&Q but have been converted to the more expensive but much better quality Resturant Grade charcoal from my local Makro.
I don't have a kettle (yet :D) but my Weber Smokey Mountain has burned on one fill for more than 10 hours on Resturant Grade.
Anyway, keep asking question but I also recommend a bit of a surf round the site, cause a lot of the answers are there already.
Welcome again and enjoy the journey.
Curlie028
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 06 Jul 2011, 04:57

Welcome Swebbo,

Curliest is on the money with his charcoal comment, I pass Bradford regularly so don't struggle for stuff. I would check your local saisburys garage forecourt for some CPL cocoshell briquettes, these are superb. Plenty of heat and plenty of duration. I would plan your cook too with these as they last longer than the obligatory 40mins from other none brands.

http://www.coals2u.co.uk/supagrill-coco ... uettes-5kg

As you're in Bradford if you do struggle especially t of season there is always the possibility of going for a ride to the barbequick factory in Burnley. They will supply restaurant grade charcoal all year round and are cheaper than the bookers special.

Just as a little evening project this week, YouTube beer can chicken and have a play at that. It will help you better understand charcoal configurations and give you a bit of fun.

Welcome again,

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby swebbo » 07 Jul 2011, 09:54

Thanks for the welcome :D
I will definitely try get hold of some better coals, will check sainsbury for the CPL's. and put less in to keep the heat down. I think this weekend weather permitting I will try a chicken. I'll have a read through the forum for tips.
Looking foreard to learning more.

cheers
stu
:mrgreen:
swebbo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby swebbo » 07 Jul 2011, 10:48

Learned one thing already, I couldnt keep the temperature down for low and slow because I used half a bag of heat beads.. Maybe just a handfull next time :mrgreen:
swebbo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby esselle » 07 Jul 2011, 18:09

Hi Stu,
Welcome to the forum. Love the avatar, my favourite film, I even named my dog Snatch!
'Do you know what nemesis means?'..........
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby swebbo » 07 Jul 2011, 19:36

A righteous infliction of retribution manifesed by an appropriate agent personified in this case by a horrible ****, me. :mrgreen:
swebbo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby esselle » 08 Jul 2011, 13:11

:lol:
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 08 Jul 2011, 16:31

A PUBLIC WARNING FROM THE BOSS MAN - ANYONE USERS POSTING PROFANITY WILL HAVE THEIR ACCOUNTS DELETED.

I'm afraid that includes Bricktop quotes too .
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby swebbo » 12 Jul 2011, 20:00

Sorry, In trouble on my first thread. slight entrapment :mrgreen:
no more bad language from me.

took your advice and tried some beer can chicken this weekend. didn't really know what I was doing. 2 chicks sat on top of 2 half full cans of becks with rosemary inside covered in paul newman bbq sauce :P
They were touching the top of the bbq lid though. and at one point i thought id lost all temperature under the hood but realised the thermometer was stuck in the chickens head. also one fell over when i tried to glaze.
tasted great though. will be doing them again.
swebbo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself