Just thought I would say hello.

Please stop by and say hello when you first join. Let us know who you are, where you are and anything else you want to share.

Moderator: British BBQ Society

Re: Just thought I would say hello.

Postby BBQ BAZ » 12 Jul 2011, 19:30

Getting the hang of this forum thing now, Iv'e put up an avatar, not brill but will do for now.
I think mine lags a bit behind your mobile beauty All Weather Griller.
BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 12 Jul 2011, 19:45

BBQ BAZ wrote:I think mine lags a bit behind your mobile beauty All Weather Griller.

:oops:

Well next time it's out round Clumber or down your way I will give you a nod. I have a little shed where I keep charcoal and an array of BBQ goodies, if you're in the area pop in.

How do you manage the fires in your pit, do you light both sides or one or does it depend on what you are cooking?

Cheers

Adie
All Weather Griller

Postby BBQ BAZ » 12 Jul 2011, 20:14

If it's just a bit of chicken or something for tea, there are fire tray's that sit in the bottom of the drum for grilling. If it's a bigger bit then both fire boxes get lit, one don't do it, that's why I had to add the other, there's too much heat loss from the metal cook chamber. I have made two chimney starters that hold about three Kg of charcoal, so it can be ready in about half an hour. On a long cook it can happily get through a ten kg bag. Got to be worth it though!
BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 12 Jul 2011, 20:30

Woof that's a hungry puppy. Have you though of insulating any of the cook chamber?
All Weather Griller

Postby BBQ BAZ » 12 Jul 2011, 20:51

I did, but the logistics would be to great, the door forms most of the top, so there is good access to the cook area, so I just get on with it now, and don't open the lid like I used to to show folks it working, that lost loads of heat.
The Barrel and fire boxes are made from 8mm thick ductile iron water pipe, which came from Bywaters before they closed down. There is a stainless rotisserie that fits in the whole length and will take five big chickens, although the most it's done is two.
BBQ BAZ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 12 Jul 2011, 20:57

We need a full break down of this beast with pics and notes. It looks excellent, I would say it a labour of love.
All Weather Griller

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself