Smoked Lamb Doner Kebab

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

Smoked Lamb Doner Kebab

Postby PyroBoris » 18 May 2015, 13:50

Not quite as low and slow as usual!

Kudos to Marcus Bawdon on the BBBQS Forum Facebook page for the recipe/idea!

Used the Guardian DIY doner kebab recipe -> http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/feb/08/the-diy-doner-kebab

We more than doubled the meat though, used 1.2kg of lamb shoulder from the local butchers at 2.99 p/kg (the butcher kindly de-boned for me :) ). I then had to pull off the skin, trim off any weird bits, dice it up and add the cumin and coriander powder.

Put it back in the fridge for 30 mins before running it through the mincer twice and then adding the remaining ingredients (although we cut back on both the breadcrumbs and the salt) and turning it into a pygmy Elephants Leg :)

UDS turned up to 11 (an interesting opportunity to see how high it could go) the target was 150c, and in the end we topped out at about 160c.

Internal temp target was 75c, took maybe 1.5 hours to reach that, possibly longer, wasn't paying attention to the time! That's what wireless thermometers are for :D

Done!

Accompanied by:

Shredded white cabbage dressed with lots of lemon juice and S&P (even nicer on day 2)
Sliced cucumber & mint
Pittas
Garlic Yoghurt mayo
Home made kebab shop chilli sauce (Ketchup, tabasco sauce, white wine vinegar, mint sauce, salt)

next time, more salt, less breadcrumbs, and we discovered that slicing the kebab AND THEN FRYING IT - makes it even more awesome

I've been eating kebabs for three days now...
PyroBoris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Smoked Lamb Doner Kebab

Postby MyLeakyBucket » 18 May 2015, 20:38

That is ace, looks excellent. Will have to start looking at how much a mincer will set me back.
MyLeakyBucket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby slemps » 19 May 2015, 09:18

This looks amazing! I'm going to have to try that PB, thanks!

Regarding mincers, after quickly tiring with a hand crank version, I did some research, and bought this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Andrew-James-El ... B0063CF80G

I've had it for about a year and a half and I'm very pleased with it. It's noisy, but for the price, I doubt there's better.

I'm going to sound like an advert now but I don't have anything to do with the company!

It's really easy to clean, which is great for a mincer. The whole front end (metal part) comes off and I can fit my washing up brush through the middle of the tube.

I've given this thing some punishment too. Making sausages and high fat content burgers with chilled, hard meat. It copes very well indeed.

For 60 odd quid, it's a bargain.

Sam.
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby PyroBoris » 19 May 2015, 09:42

Mrs Boris was awesome enough to get me a Porkert #10 for Christmas!

PyroBoris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 19 May 2015, 21:43

Hi
thats like hard work get a trispade 8 its what sausage making training courses use. very robust
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)