1st go using a diffuser in UDS

A place to discuss low 'n' slow cooking, ask questions and share advice.

1st go using a diffuser in UDS

Postby batvan » 18 May 2015, 06:18

I've read loads on the whole diffuser or no diffuser when cooking with a UDS so I decided as I had a rack of spare ribs n some beef short ribs I would try one out for miself to get around the direct heat.my UDS has 2 shelves so I picked up a pizza tray with the holes in n placed that on the lower shelf.seemed to make a big difference to the cook as the ribs were superb! Will defo be using again maybe every cook, which is gonna mean getting the drill out again so I can place it below the lower shelf. :D
batvan
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: 1st go using a diffuser in UDS

Postby essexsmoker » 18 May 2015, 09:51

I wouldn't dream of not using a diffuser. I got a cheapo kettle and used bits off that. I used the 47cm lid as the diffuser so it looks just like the bowl in a WSM.

Direct heat is a big no no in low and slow so I can't see how you could do without one.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 18 May 2015, 10:56

I tried diffuser free UDS cooking on my first few runs. I liked the 'grease fog' flavour on quick smoked chicken, but it became acrid and overpowering on anything in there for more than an hour or two. Since then the diffuser has never left the drum!
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Kiska95 » 18 May 2015, 11:54

Hi

Always build my drums with 3 shelves for exactly that reason 2 at the top and one at the bottom
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to Low 'n' Slow (Smoking)