Traeger Lil Tex - Pellet Cooker

A forum for reviews of BBQ's & Smokers. Only mods and admins can create new topics here, but everyone else can reply. Opinions expressed here are those of the individual and are not representative of the BBBQS.

Re: Traeger Lil Tex - Pellet Cooker

Postby Headpiggy » 13 Oct 2010, 13:37

have you guys thought of everyone getting together to place an order. I know that the Rocky Mountian BBQ Association put together one order for all of its members and they save a lot of money. I believe you can get a container shipped for about $3,000 and in that container you could get about 11,000 Kg of pellets or 2,400 bags from BBQ Delight cost for that would be about $8,400 total would be $11,400 or $4.75/bag which come 10 lb bags or $9.50/20 lbs. That is US pricing so not sure what you dollar is compared to the US. Our Canadian dollar is basically at par. By spring we are actually supposed to be higher than the US dollar.
Headpiggy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby sloman » 03 May 2011, 10:24

I actually have a qoute of $3100 to ship a 40ft container to Germany which would hold over 40,000 lbs of which ever size bags you were shipping. You can get pellets out of Wisconsin for .17 to .25 a lb should land them over here at less than 35 cents a pound american or $7 for a 20lb bag- or around 4,75€, dont know what that would be in British pounds, but even less.Pellets here in Germany range between 15€ and 20€ from Memphis, Louisiana and Grillson...
sloman
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 30 Jun 2011, 11:35

I actually spoke to Nick at American BBQ Company, a couple of days ago, who reassured me that ABC were still in operation, and available to give support to previous customers. They have spares for Traegers in stock, and - as you say - both apple and hickory pellets, although for the moment, I am persisting with the Lil Devils from Liverpool.

So I don't think any pellet users should worry much about their future.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Banjo » 15 Sep 2011, 14:38

Chris__M wrote: I am persisting with the Lil Devils from Liverpool.

How are you getting on with the Lil Devils?

I need to place an order soon and wondered what your latest view was.

Thanks
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 15 Sep 2011, 18:08

Banjo wrote:How are you getting on with the Lil Devils?

I need to place an order soon and wondered what your latest view was.

They have become my standard pellets for cooking at medium to high heat. They burn well, get the Traeger nice and hot, and work out extremely economical - half the price of anything else I have found.

At slow/smoke they are ok, and impart a pleasant flavour, but not a particularly strong one. My first few cooks with them were slow smokes, and I must admit I was disappointed. However, I am coming round to them now.

I like them for slow-smoked burgers and stuff like that (having done these a couple of times, my crowd now look down their noses at fast-cooked burgers, and are demanding that I smoke them every time). However, I am still using other pellets by preference for cooking pulled pork and other all-night (or all-day) cooks.

Another thing I have found that works is to use the more expensive and flavoursome pellets for the first 4-6 hours of a cook, then top up the hopper with the cheaper Lil Devils towards the end of the cook. Doesn't see to affect the taste at all, and saves some pennies.

Aside from all that, I am about to order some mesquite to try - it will be my first time cooking with it, and I am looking forward to seeing what it brings to the table. But there will still be room for my Lil Devils.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Banjo » 16 Sep 2011, 08:42

Thanks for that. The price does seem very persuasive so I'll give them a go.

I do have a bag of Jackies pellets left, so I think I'll keep them and use as you suggest for the initial smoke.
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby wade » 17 Sep 2011, 06:48

It is a pity that ABC closed their location in Ashford as it is only a few miles from me. I went to try to find them a couple of months ago after having seen them on the Internet - only to find that a second hand furniture group had recently moved into their unit.
wade
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 17 Sep 2011, 10:58

Heh, on the other hand, while not close to me, the new location is so much more convenient for me, as I frequently drive by that way.

Still waiting to see what their prices for the GMG grills are going to be. Although then I don't know what I am going to do - my Traeger controller project is progressing well, albeit slowly, and I don't think I can justify having two grills.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Banjo » 20 Sep 2011, 10:01

Well you can't fault the service from Liverpool Pellets - ordered six bags of the Lil Devils yesterday at 3.30, just been delivered. The Carrier sent a txt giving a delivery window of 1 hour and they were bang on.

Going to give the pellets a go the weekend and see how they perform.
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby British BBQ Society » 21 Sep 2011, 13:18

Running low myself maybe time to place an order
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to BBQ / Smoker Review