Ugly Drum Smokers

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: Ugly Drum Smokers

Postby British BBQ Society » 18 Feb 2010, 19:29

Hi Graham,

The official line from the British BBQ Society has to be that you will not be able to enter food cooked in your custom BBQ's.

Althogh the risk is over a prolonged period and minute, the judges would be within their rights to refuse eating the food on the day which we all want to avoid. You have my email, we can chat away from the forum and try to come up with a solution for you.

Regards
Toby
British BBQ Society
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 21 Feb 2010, 20:15

Hey Al, I was hoping you'd reply to this thread at some point :D

I've got a few questions I know you can help with.

1. The only drum we could get was a food grade lined drum, it was also a bit stumpy at 32.5". We've managed to get a set up that gives us our 24" clearance and just enough space for a butt, however it's tight. Where did you get your drums from? did you manage to get unlined drums?

2. Did you manage to find washers big enough for 3/4" pipe nipples?

3. Where did you find stainless zip ties????? :o

4. Our current charcoal basket is just an Excel basket mounted on legs made from stainless bolts with a 16" allly pizza pan as a charcoal basket. I couldn't find expanded steel mesh anywhere, at least not without buying an 8' x 4' sheet and even then I couldn't find it locally. You're not that far from me, have you got a local supplier of expanded steel mesh?

5. One last question - where did you find a smaller drum for a mini UDS and what size was it?

Looking forward to hearing your answers mate.

Cheers

Steve
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 22 Feb 2010, 19:23

That's a sweet charcoal basket dude.

I was wondering about using an old washing machine drum, maybe drilling out the perforations to make bigger holes. They make great fire pits so I figured there's a chance I could get a good burn using one as a charcoal basket. Of course I'd cut the bottom out and put a grill in there.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 27 Feb 2010, 09:31

Al, firstly I love the last pic, looks like the UDS is stalking your wife, like some 70's horror B-Movie "Killer Smokers From Outer Space" :lol:

Thanks for the parts offer, reminds me the best bit about BBQ - the people!!!!! I think we're in good shape for parts, I've got plenty of stainless machine screws, bolts, washers etc. Also got mild steel pipe nipples, back nuts, angles and all that. Next time will buy all the pipe fittings in stainless too ;)

However you said the magic words - Calor gas bottles. Have we talked about these before? I'm (hopefully) getting a roofing torch for my birthday and need to get a gas bottle without paying calor their £30 rip off fee so if you do have a gas bottle I'd gladly take it off your hands.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby County4x4 » 04 Mar 2010, 16:45

If anyone needs drums I may be able to source them - either tighthead or clip top. I can also remove the tops from tightheads cleanly - though you'd need to make sure no sharp edges were left inside the rim of the drumhead.

Andy
County4x4
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 08 Mar 2010, 12:56

Al,

I'm having a bit of frustration with the UDS.

On our first test burn 2 weeks ago it held for hours, we were really looking forward to using it properly.

However when we did our first cook on Saturday it would just not hold temp. We had all our vents uncapped and the ball valve fully open, but the charcoal only took near the ball valve.

The bag of lump we had was crap, mostly small bits, so I'm thinking it was that for now, but I'd be interested to hear if you had any alternative theories.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 10 Mar 2010, 18:25

I'll be doing the same in future.

Nevermind, the food did taste good off the UDS though.

do you reckon you'll compete with a UDS this year or will you use the Beast?
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 10 Mar 2010, 22:14

Personally I'd love an FEC but I think I want a Spicewine more, then there's Jambo's and Klose's to throw into the mix.

I've already spoken to Jay Curry about getting a Spicewine, maybe next year or the year after. For now though I'm going to stick with the Excels and the UDS.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby British Bulldog BBQ » 13 Mar 2010, 09:02

Hi Al, have you worked on a baffle or grease trap for the beast yet? The pork was no secret, just set up the meat to the left and kept filling the right barel. foiled after 6 hours and went to bed :lol:

Doesnt matter what you use, just be there! I really think there are going to be some bragging rights this year. its going to be close.
British Bulldog BBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 08 Apr 2010, 16:24

Al, another question for you...

On one of your UDS you've got an exhaust screwed directly into the 2" bung hole on the lid, what did you use for that and where did you get it.

Number one UDS is living at Neil's house so I'm going to build number two UDS next week, this time I'm going to try to get a drum with a 2" bung to use as the exhaust.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue Reviews