Ugly Drum Smokers

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: Ugly Drum Smokers

Postby Steve » 09 Apr 2010, 23:29

Al, If you have a bit of spare tubing, that'd be great.

It's so difficult to find some of the bits that everyone in the states uses.

Cheers

Steve
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 10 Apr 2010, 18:33

I think I'm good now apart from the exhaust pipe.

The only other thing I've not got is a pair of handles to go on the sides of the drum. All the handles I've found at ironmongers and hardware shops have been the cast type so they can't easily be bent to fit on the surface of a drum.

So, long story short, I'm going to leave side handles off :lol:

Another question for you though is have you put yours on casters?
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 12 Apr 2010, 15:24

I'll look for garage door handles.

that listing you gave was in the US and all the garage door handles on eBay in the UK where locking type. I'll see if I can find some in a shop that sells garage door handles though.

Cheers

Steve
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve » 13 Apr 2010, 11:55

Yeah I'll figure something out. I need to sort out some feet as well, currently it sits on bricks - like a car in Liverpool :lol:

That's why I was thinking of putting it on casters, will keep looking in skips for some steel box section ;)
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby RodC » 21 Apr 2010, 13:39

What do you guys do to make the charcoal basket?

I'm kinda struggling with that one.

Got my drum last night & am buying a weber 22.5 inch grill off of ebay to cannibalise for parts (lid grill etc).
RodC
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Steve » 21 Apr 2010, 15:31

I have to admit I cheated with the charcoal basket and used one from a ProQ Excel bolted to a 16" pizza pan which acts as an ash pan.

Al has used stainless mesh which is a much better solution, when I can get some suitable mesh, I'll rebuild my basket the same way.

I need to source a charcoal basket for my second UDS as soon as really :(
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby mistergee » 06 May 2011, 23:24

Hi, noob question alert!!

looking forward to building my UDS and am just buying the fittings now. A couple of questions - in earlier threads Steve, you bought both hexagon and normal barrell nipples. Which one worked out better or didnt it matter in the end?

I am guessing you just drill your holes and wind the thing in as it has a taper thread.

Also, in the photos you used a step drill but then later on you used a hole punch - did it make any difference?

I am planning to use 3/4" BSP nipples and 3 caps + 1 valve. Is that the normal air intake configuration?

ps) anyone in my area - i should be able to get unlined drums which are deheaded.
mistergee
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby rib-o-lator » 05 Jun 2011, 19:16

here's my uds it's a gasser.
in case you didn't know! if the drum has liner, clamped or sealed lid then it is used for toxic material. you should clean throughout. i use a weed burner and i cook the inside and out until it is cherry hot. washing wont do it.

if it has a bung hole and the lid easily removes then it is not as bad, i still use the weed burner on it just in case.

here is how i made mine.
1. i cut the bottom out of the drum and moved it up to about the first rib of the drum, about 12" and re-welded. you could probably use mortar.

2. i took the burner from a turkey cooker and mounted it to the underside of the new bottom.

3. i mad an access hole at the bottom for my hose and for me to ignite.

this way the flame is underneath the bottom and not inside where the food is so it is considered indirect cooking. i then place pellets or wood chips inside the drum. when the bottom gets hot enough the chips start to smoke. i also have a copper tube that runs inside with a control valve so i can add water for moister.
i have also gottin my weber lid to fit on the top so it looks like a big wsm.

if you use a flat lid you my notice black condensation dripping down onto you food. what it did was take a disposable turkey roasting pan and flatin it then fold it to make a "V" and place it as a tent over my food allowing the condensation to drip off.

the advantage to the gasser is that i can control the temps perfectly. i have had it as hot as 650. and as low as 100. ok here are some pics to help.

here you see it with the propane tank and my water bottle injection.

bottom view

close up view of burnner attached to bottom

here you can see the tube with a puddle of water steaming

wood chips starting to smoke

ribs in the shadow of the smoke

here it is nice and pertty before the first cook.

i have enough room for a grate above the chips and a rol above that. so i can do butts or briskets on the grate and ribs and salmon etc on the rol.

hope this gives you some outside of the box ideas.
rib-o-lator
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Vic. » 05 Jun 2011, 19:53

nice job Bob. I too use gas in a cabinet smoker, my 13kg tank is about to run out and its done 36hrs so far. Its a reasonanle enough price at £28/tank.......One thing I found about my unit is, when the gas is down low and I open the top door it goes out. I have to open the bottom door gently first......have you found anything like that with your drum smoker?
Vic.
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby rib-o-lator » 05 Jun 2011, 21:23

Vic. wrote:nice job Bob. I too use gas in a cabinet smoker, my 13kg tank is about to run out and its done 36hrs so far. Its a reasonanle enough price at £28/tank.......One thing I found about my unit is, when the gas is down low and I open the top door it goes out. I have to open the bottom door gently first......have you found anything like that with your drum smoker?

i haven't burned that long so i have not had the problem, i will keep on the look out.
rib-o-lator
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue Reviews