Temperature probes

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Temperature probes

Postby alanb1976 » 23 May 2018, 10:41

Hi there
I'm looking at getting a temperature probe and reading a post by Steve, he mentions the Maverick ET-73 as a good tool. I admit that I did have a mini heart attack when I saw the price over here in the UK. So, I was wondering what others are recommended? My palette isn't so refined that it needs to be exact to the millionth degree, just something that can measure remotely and tell me when it's good to go. Any advise?
Thanks
Alan
alanb1976
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Temperature probes

Postby Jediboy » 23 May 2018, 20:35

I use a Thermopro and have been very pleased with it.
Jediboy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby alanb1976 » 24 May 2018, 18:34

Thanks. I'll have a look at it.

Just another question on the probes..... Surely, if you leave a probe in the meat, the metal shaft would transfer the heat down to the tip and interfere with the actual temperature of the meat?
alanb1976
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Jediboy » 25 May 2018, 11:12

Don't know to be honest. I used mine yesterday and all seemed well.
Jediboy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Jediboy » 25 May 2018, 11:15

Jediboy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby alanb1976 » 25 May 2018, 17:28

Jediboy wrote:I use a Thermopro and have been very pleased with it.

Had a look and they get good reviews on amazon (better than the maverick). At first thought "awesome", this is the one..... But then saw the different models can either do low temp alarm or high temp alarm, not both :(
Also, after being seduced by the "bells and whistles", realised that model could only do the hight temp alarm and since I use coals figure the low temp alarm would be better.
What model do you have? Can you set meat temperature alarms or does it have a setting for specific meat settings?
alanb1976
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby alanb1976 » 25 May 2018, 17:52

alanb1976 wrote:What model do you have? Can you set meat temperature alarms or does it have a setting for specific meat settings?

Sorry, just saw your second post detailing your model
alanb1976
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Jediboy » 25 May 2018, 20:25

It has specific meat settings, but also can set the temperature that I want.
Jediboy
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Chris__M » 28 May 2018, 23:51

I recently bought an Inkbird, and I am very pleased with it.

The one I bought - the IBT-4XS - is 45 quid, and allows up to 4 probes to be used at the same time.

(The IBT-2X is considerably cheaper - 26 quid - and allows for 2 probes.)

The device is pretty featureless, an on-off switch at the rear, and a barely perceptible on button on the front. The temperature displays in bright red LEDs, and the display is really nice and big. It only displays one probe at a time, but cycles through.

If that was all there is, it would be pretty basic, but there is also an App (Android and iOS) which connects via Bluetooth. This displays all 4 probes at the same time, and lets you configure the device. By default, it is set to Celsius at first, but if you prefer Fahrenheit, like me, this can be set in the app, and is immediately used by the device itself. It only has to be set the one time.

Another nice feature is that you can set a timed or temperature alarm for each probe, and when setting the temperature, it automatically gives you a range of internal temperatures for different meats and levels of cooking to select from.

Finally, the device is built on a very effective magnetic base, so you can just stick it to your BBQ (preferably somewhere that doesn't get too hot).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076QBJVWX/
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Chris__M » 28 May 2018, 23:56

I should add that Bluetooth range seems pretty reasonable. My BBQ is round the back of my garage, so there is a brick wall in between the BBQ and my conservatory, where I would tend to put my phone as a monitor. No problem with the signal, at all.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice