third cook on the UDS

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

third cook on the UDS

Postby ScottishSmoker » 24 Jul 2016, 07:50

After a pork butt and chicken, I wanted something else so decided for a leg of lamb and a spare rib (leftover in freezer).
Watched some youtube videos and decided to go for 145 internal for the lamb, rib 205.
I did open up after 1 hr, 1.45 hr and 2.15 hr to baste both lamb and rib. Result was very tasty, lamb not as juicy as I hoped but very tasteful. Ribs were fantastic, sweet, spicy, sticky and pulled right of the bone. Next time ill take off the top cartilage though (is it cartilage, the guey bits at the top?)

As picture upload of my smoker did not work out well the last time here another attempt, please comment what you think

reg.
bjorn
ScottishSmoker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: third cook on the UDS

Postby essexsmoker » 25 Jul 2016, 13:00

Sounds like a good meal.

If it's on top I'd imagine it's fat and connective tissue.
Cartilage is the harder white bit on the end of the bones. They can go a bit soft on cooking though.
Never done lamb, keep looking at it, but never seems to happen.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Lord Grim » 25 Jul 2016, 14:52

To be pedantic, it's the pleural lining.
If you imagine the anatomy of an animal (as opposed to a bit of meat), it's the membrane that separates the lungs from the ribcage, and the bit that gets infected if you're ever unfortunate enough to suffer pleurisy.
But yes, get that bugger off before you cook and it'll improve your ribs immensely.

I just get a knife under one corner and when I have a large enough bit to grab, peel it away. Doing it is quite satisfying, a bit like peeling the papery wrapping off a chorizo.
Lord Grim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Lord Grim » 25 Jul 2016, 14:54

Oh, and as far as the lamb goes, leaving the bone in may have helped it stay a bit moister, but leg is a bugger for drying out even in the oven.
I'd have done it hotter (about 300 ish) for less time (3-4 hours for a 2kg leg)
Lord Grim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby ScottishSmoker » 26 Jul 2016, 18:21

Thanks for the feedback guys. Next time I will take off that pleural lining.

As for the lamb, I considered keeping the bone in but then saw advise on youtube videos to take it off and twine it for even cooking so went with that as we like our lamb rose. Also thought carving would be easier without bone but may keep bone in next time just to try a different cooking.

Flavour was great though, and as you can see by the smoke ring I had plenty of light smoke (cherry) on it.

PS. can you guys see the photo's? I had some trouble posting photos earlier, just wondering as i read "sounds like a good meal" from EssexSmoker.

Cheers,
Bjorn
ScottishSmoker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 27 Jul 2016, 09:10

The lining is underneath on the bones themselves, and will normally go dry and papery. You mention on top and gooey....

I can't see pics, but that may be tapatalk.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Lord Grim » 27 Jul 2016, 19:43

My bad, I got carried away with myself a bit. Essex is completely accuratd about the pleural lining, which due to the fact I hadn't read your post properly, is what I thought you meant.
The fatty bit on top is precisely that. I would tend to cut it off as I wouldn't expect it would have time to render, but please bear in mind that although I have years of experience cooking professionally, other than potjie, this is my first year of 'proper' outdoor cooking too.
Lord Grim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice