Which smoker to buy?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Which smoker to buy?

Postby louisg » 10 Jul 2016, 08:47

Hi All,

New to BBQ only ever cooked the usual party food on a gas bbq. Starting to learn about smoking but so confused on what smoker to buy.

Due to the poor British weather, I'm only looking to buy a one that does it all style smoker. I will be mainly cooking for a small party of 4-6 people but would like the option to be able to cook for more if needed. Baby back ribs are my favourite and thats what i will be mostly cooking. I would love to have a go at brisket too.

The smokers I have been looking at are WSM (unsure which size though), ProQ (again unsure of which size) and a UDS (Bristol drum smokers make a ready made Big poppa smoker). I would require something that is easy to use and holds consistent temperature without to much interference from myself.

Could someone advise which of these 3 would be best for what I want to use it for please? Happy to listen to other options too.

Thank you
louisg
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Which smoker to buy?

Postby Tiny » 12 Jul 2016, 18:30

Welcome chum,
You ask an eternal question, and it has been asked many times but no matter the views seem to remain fairly constant but may not help you.......none of these are a bad choice, the Bristol folk are the new kids on the block but are getting rave reviews, the Pro Q are great units and wont let you down, the WSM are brand leaders for a reason and most tend to suggest that the 47cm does all it needs to and more but the bloke in us wants to buy the "big one" Without wishing to muddy your waters further, a self built UDS comes in cheapest and will proper do the job for you, I think stretchy has a definitive "how to" at the end of his sig block.

Personally I would buy none of them and invest in an GMG Daniel Boon, because they are bestest.

Short answer, doesn't really matter all are good
Sorry
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Pompey Dinlo » 13 Jul 2016, 06:40

If you buy a bullet smoker then after a while you'll quickly tire of spending the night worrying about temps so you'll want a wireless temperature gauge but that will still mean interrupted sleep so then you'll want something like a BBQGuru and then you'll want....... and so on.

I'd just bite the bullet and go pellet, probably GMG. You get the same result, if not better and for a lot less hassle. In 15 minutes my Yoder is up to temp and ready to smoke and it will maintain the temperature I set it within 5 & 10 degrees (f) for as long as there are pellets to burn, this means I can get a full nights uninterrupted sleep.
Pompey Dinlo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 13 Jul 2016, 09:42

Depends on how much cooking you're doing and how much dosh you have to waste on toys.

I would go home build UDS for cheap option, and GMG Davy Crocket for a small unit or Daniel Boone.
Don't forget you can always get the grill out for chicken, etc.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby louisg » 13 Jul 2016, 16:08

Thank you all for taking the time in responding to my message.

I'm only looking to use the smoker a 4 or 5 times in a year. So not very many at all. Budget wise I don't really want to spend more than £300 if possible.
The GMG look amazing but well out of my price range and doubt it would get the use it deserves. My kitchen oven didn't even cost that much :oops:

Making a UDS is out of the question my DIY skills are appalling :lol:
louisg
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Pompey Dinlo » 13 Jul 2016, 16:53

essexsmoker wrote:Don't forget you can always get the grill out for chicken, etc.

Aahh, but if you go for a Yoder, buy the grill plates then you have a wood fired grill. I've done some superb steaks, burgers and chicken on mine.
Pompey Dinlo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 13 Jul 2016, 18:12

You can do the same on the GMG. Except you get the grill plates with it. Something like 60 - 260C. :)
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Pompey Dinlo » 13 Jul 2016, 20:21

essexsmoker wrote:You can do the same on the GMG. Except you get the grill plates with it. Something like 60 - 260C. :)

:mrgreen:
Pompey Dinlo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice