New to smoking, What cuts to practice on

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

New to smoking, What cuts to practice on

Postby secla » 23 Jun 2016, 04:24

Just purchased a proq frontier after using a kettle for a couple of years, but never used the kettle for indirect cooking as i felt it was a bit on the small side !

Im looking at what meat cuts i should use to practice on as i feel 5kg of brisket would go to waste or atleast not made the most of, I pretty much like all meats but i am wondering what are considered the best "cheaper" cuts to start with
secla
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: New to smoking, What cuts to practice on

Postby GingerBen » 23 Jun 2016, 08:38

Hi and welcome to the best hobby there is! I would start with things that are pretty cheap to get just in case they don't turn out how you expected first time. Chicken thighs/legs are a good starting point as smoked chicken is lovely and it's cheap.
Pulled pork is also very forgiving and cheap to buy a pork shoulder joint but it needs to cook for a long time so you'll need to get your method for how to set up the coals nailed. I recommend you tube for videos on minion or snake method.

Have fun
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 23 Jun 2016, 09:41

I would start on baby back ribs

Long enough to feel like a proper cook but not too long.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 27 Jun 2016, 14:10

Think I'd go with Braai. Ribs are a good start and loins are really easy.

Other than that pulled pork from a pork shoulder.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby nabby » 17 Jul 2016, 12:34

Pork ribs or beef short ribs are a good place to start. Also consider chicken wings and as mentioned already, pork shoulder for pulled pork. Don't forget to get a temperature probe or thermometer as it's the best way to tell when pork shoulder is ready to pull.

Good luck in making your choice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nabby
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby ScottishSmoker » 24 Jul 2016, 08:43

Agree with all, chicken thighs or ribs for a shorter (2,5h) cook or pork shoulder for a longer 6h cook.
Having said that, I did a lamb shoulder as third cook yesterday (so I consider myself as inexperienced) and that turned out pretty good, see below photo's

My favourite so far is pork (spare) ribs, just make sure you have a sticky sweet & spicy baste though :)

reg.
bjorn
ScottishSmoker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Mj2k » 25 Jul 2016, 19:08

essexsmoker wrote:Think I'd go with Braai. Ribs are a good start and loins are really easy.

Other than that pulled pork from a pork shoulder.

Pork shoulder is very forgiving, but ribs give you many opportunities to test out when they are ready if you do a few slightly differently

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mj2k
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice