Tom Hixson Australian brisket advice

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Tom Hixson Australian brisket advice

Postby BillShakespeare » 09 Jun 2016, 15:31

Hi all

Got my first ever packer from Tom Hixson today. Last summer I smoked about a dozen racks of St Louis ribs, a couple of pork butts and a few chickens with great success but wanted to branch out this year. Problem is i'm struggling to identify which end is the flat and which is the point! Both look like the flat to me and in photos i've seen of most briskets, it looks easy to identify. Was hoping the more experienced amongst you could help me out.

I've uploaded two images here: http://imgur.com/a/wuXBx

Any help appreciated!
BillShakespeare
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Tom Hixson Australian brisket advice

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 10 Jun 2016, 08:40

It may be easier once you've Unpackaged it. Have you looked at the info on Amazingribs.com? I struggle to identify flat and point too and always find that website a help.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Tom Hixson Australian brisket advice

Postby essexsmoker » 10 Jun 2016, 12:07

You'll never tell while it's wrapped.

Look for a lump bit and a big seam of fat. You'll defo know when it's cooked as it will be 10x better than the flat. Really juicy.

I did one a couple of weekends ago and wasn't that impressed. Take great care with the flat. No fat cap on mine at all.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice