Hi, virgin smoker in need of advice for first time with Pro

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Hi, virgin smoker in need of advice for first time with

Postby essexsmoker » 04 Jun 2016, 14:58

Internal temps is quite a popular discussion thing on this forum.

To try and simplify things a little, a single temp is often recommended for the average joe in the street. However, there is a more indepth temp path you can follow.

Personally I prefer to stick to the simple single temp thing. Not only for safety, but with chicken for texture. I find it a bit chewy if not cooked right out to a higher temp.

However, temp is related to time too.

So, as a made up example, because I just use the single figure and can't remember the detailed ones, the kill time at 75C is about 5 seconds or less. However, you can cook to say 65C but you have to make sure it's at that temp for 10 minutes. Obviously there are umpteen figures and times in between.

In addition there are different temps for different meats and processed meats. Minced meats normally needs longer and or higher temps.

Personally it all gets a bit complicated so I don't faf about.

I use this free app cos I can never remember them all:

I'm sure there are other apps available and guides all over the web.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Jgreenplastering » 04 Jun 2016, 17:16

essexsmoker wrote:Internal temps is quite a popular discussion thing on this forum.

To try and simplify things a little, a single temp is often recommended for the average joe in the street. However, there is a more indepth temp path you can follow.

Personally I prefer to stick to the simple single temp thing. Not only for safety, but with chicken for texture. I find it a bit chewy if not cooked right out to a higher temp.

However, temp is related to time too.

So, as a made up example, because I just use the single figure and can't remember the detailed ones, the kill time at 75C is about 5 seconds or less. However, you can cook to say 65C but you have to make sure it's at that temp for 10 minutes. Obviously there are umpteen figures and times in between.

In addition there are different temps for different meats and processed meats. Minced meats normally needs longer and or higher temps.

Personally it all gets a bit complicated so I don't faf about.

I use this free app cos I can never remember them all:

I'm sure there are other apps available and guides all over the web.

Ah right. I think I understand. Basically I don't need to fret to much, as long as it's good at a decent temp for a decent time I should be ok. And asking as it don't look undercooked I can't be going far wrong.

I'll have a look at that app thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jgreenplastering
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Jgreenplastering » 05 Jun 2016, 18:50

So I cooked some lamb shoulder for my second attempt.
Used briquettes instead of lump wood and got a much longer cook, I started off with the minion method and that lasted for a good 4.5 hours then topped it up to finish it.
The lamb got a lot of thumbs up from the guests so I'm happy with that.
Next week I plan to do some pulled pork and ribs.
Plan to do this the night before around 5pm, top up at midnight then take out around 5am when I get up for work. Then put the lamb in so its ready for when I get home.

I'm cooking for about 20 this time and it's the England game and my b day BBQ so want to do all the smoking prior then my missus will do the easy stuff while I drink!

Any tips on the pork please?

Jgreenplastering
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 05 Jun 2016, 19:12

I did a 4kg pork butt overnight last night. Put it on at 9pm and took off at 2pm today. One basket of coals with no top up and when I closed the vents down I still had half a basket of coals left over.

If you're wanting to pull the pork you need to take it to 203f internal. Depending on size and cut that can take a while, especially if you don't 'crutch'.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Jgreenplastering » 05 Jun 2016, 19:35

BraaiMeesterWannabe wrote:I did a 4kg pork butt overnight last night. Put it on at 9pm and took off at 2pm today. One basket of coals with no top up and when I closed the vents down I still had half a basket of coals left over.

If you're wanting to pull the pork you need to take it to 203f internal. Depending on size and cut that can take a while, especially if you don't 'crutch'.

Thanks for the reply.
What smoker have you got and what coals did you use?

I just want to get it soft and smokey, I know it won't be perfect being such a novice, I'm just worried about putting it on and it going out over night

Jgreenplastering
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 05 Jun 2016, 22:05

I have a WSM 47cm and used Aussie Heat Beads
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice