First smoke advice

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: First smoke advice

Postby Kickback » 30 May 2016, 09:15

Well the pork tasted great but took a lot longer than I expected!

Followed the kind advice on here loaded 8kgs (!!) of heat beads into the bottom of the smokey mountain. Amazed it would fit so much. Did a half chimney around 10.30 and poured it in a hole in the middle just after 11. Had 3 chunks of apple and 1 of hickory in the coals. Stabilised the temperature at around 225 and the pork went on at midnight. Put water in water pan to see how that goes but made a school boy error of forgetting to line it with foil (going to be fun cleaning the pork juice out of that today!).

Pork went on at midnight Saturday night/Sunday morning. Stayed up another hour or so keeping temperature stable - involved near closing most of the bottom vents. Door and lid of smokey mountain a bit leaky. Expect food "gunk" will seal the lid in a few cooks. Door surprisingly flimsy but looks like that is a known issue.

I was a little worried that the amount of fuel in the might burn hot so went for the lower range of smoking temperature. Overnight the maverick went off a few times telling me we'd dropped below 200 so I had to crack cents open a bit more. Got up at 6.30 as the temperature had dropped to 194 and then I paid a bit more attention keeping the temp between 225 and 245 for the rest of the cook. Most of the time it was 237. I started at nigh night as I though we'd be able to eat early afternoon but it didn't hit an internal temperature of 198 till about 8 pm - 20 hours!!! I think I can say I cooked it a little too low and slow! Had too do some sausages for the kids as they couldn't wait that late to eat but my wife and I enjoyed it and we have May kilos of leftovers!

Didn't have much of a bark. Might have left too much fat on the top. Cold have been a bit of bark on the bottom (I cooked with fat on the top). Could also have been the Waterpan as all that water had to go somewhere.

Pork pulled really easily. And tasted great.

Thanks again to all those who posted help. Really is appreciated. Might to a brisket next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kickback
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kickback » 30 May 2016, 09:16

Oh and after 20 hours on the heat beads I still have about a third of them left in the bottom of the smokey mountain!

Kickback
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kickback » 30 May 2016, 09:18

ImageImageImage

Kickback
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kickback » 30 May 2016, 13:38

Actually post clean up most of the remaining heat beads were dust when touched so the 20 hour cook used the best part of 8kg.

Kickback
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 30 May 2016, 20:41

I did a butt a week or so ago and it was 24hrs! Cost a fortune in pellets. I guess you didn't foil either?

Think it's just a bit cold at night still. Hopefully summer will make it a bit cheaper!

Looks great!
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Kickback » 30 May 2016, 21:25

I foiled at 190 as we wanted to eat! Sped things up a bit. I think next time I'll cook a little in temperature. Want to try and get a bark.

Agree the fuel adds a bit to the cost!

Kickback
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kickback » 30 May 2016, 21:31

Meant a little higher in temperature. Should read these posts again before hitting send!

Kickback
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Lord Grim » 31 May 2016, 07:54

Looks good, and as I understand it, getting that bone to come away clean is the sign of a good cook.
Lord Grim
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 31 May 2016, 12:52

That looks a great success for a first long cook. Kudos to you.

Next time maybe start closer to 250 f. Also, I no longer use water and have put a clay saucer in the water pan and cover that with foil.

If using water make sure you have it in from when you light the fire so it is up to temp when you put meat on (sounds like that is what you did but wasn't sure).
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Kickback » 31 May 2016, 13:38

Yes definitely going to try to keep temperature nearer 250 to start. Might get a temperature controller like the pitmaster iq but import duty putting me off as its wasn't that hard to control the temp.

Will try and put something else in the water tray next time. Some American chap on YouTube says children s play sand is good but I'm worried it might have chemicals in it.

Thanks for all the advice.

Having a pulled pork sandwich for lunch now!

Kickback
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice