Traeger or GMG????

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Traeger or GMG????

Postby ac30 » 20 May 2016, 19:22

I'm looking at getting a pellet smoker and am looking for some advice on the best smoker to get! Can anyone point me in the right direction?
ac30
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Traeger or GMG????

Postby essexsmoker » 24 May 2016, 12:49

Not sure what the traeger is like or the aftercare, but I'm having trouble with my GMG at the moment.
I have external paint flaking off around the firebox area. Not sure why as it's only on one side.

I mailed ABBQ several days ago and have had no reply yet. Not even a 'we are dealing with it'.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JBBQ » 24 May 2016, 13:48

ABBQ are far better to deal with over the phone in my experience, they have also replaced or upgraded parts for me in the past and I have nothing but praise (when you use the phone :))

As for Traeger vs GMG I'm not sure as to the latest prices but there was a big difference when I got my GMG

Trager in the US is a no brainer in so much as you can pick up spares in any hardware store and even some larger grocery stores; over here that has been a bit of an issue but I know that ABBQ have stock of GMG spares that are shipped quickly

Results on my GMG have been great - you hear some obsession about just how "accurate" the on board temp is and how the temperature differs across the grate (the right is much hotter so when its full of pork I know to rotate) but generally I just leave mine be and its been one of the top three purchases I have ever made!
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JBBQ » 24 May 2016, 13:50

Also Meathead rates them higher than the Traeger http://amazingribs.com/bbq_equipment_re ... id%5B%5D=3
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby ac30 » 24 May 2016, 16:08

Cheers, iv gone with the Traeger, it's 100 pound cheaper than the gmg and carries a 3 year warranty. It's due to arrive Thursday :D
ac30
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Pompey Dinlo » 24 May 2016, 16:50

ac30 wrote:I'm looking at getting a pellet smoker and am looking for some advice on the best smoker to get! Can anyone point me in the right direction?

What's your budget?

I have a Yoder YS1500 which is a beast of a machine, extremely well built and is an absolute beauty to cook on but it is very expensive. I bought it for commercial use due to the size but there are smaller, cheaper models.

The Biomass Hut are the UK distributors and the YS640 appears to be the most popular model in the US.

http://www.thebiomasshut.co.uk/Products ... grill.html
Pompey Dinlo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 25 May 2016, 09:39

JBBQ wrote:ABBQ are far better to deal with over the phone in my experience, they have also replaced or upgraded parts for me in the past and I have nothing but praise (when you use the phone :))

As for Traeger vs GMG I'm not sure as to the latest prices but there was a big difference when I got my GMG

Trager in the US is a no brainer in so much as you can pick up spares in any hardware store and even some larger grocery stores; over here that has been a bit of an issue but I know that ABBQ have stock of GMG spares that are shipped quickly

Results on my GMG have been great - you hear some obsession about just how "accurate" the on board temp is and how the temperature differs across the grate (the right is much hotter so when its full of pork I know to rotate) but generally I just leave mine be and its been one of the top three purchases I have ever made!

Have you ever had flaking paint underneath your DB?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby CueBall » 25 May 2016, 10:02

I've not had flaking paint on mine but after a couple of years use I had rust spots all over. It's been kept under the GMG cover at all times and not used in the rain, ABBQ seemed to think it was due to condensation getting under the cover.

They sent me a can of stove paint and it now look like new. Will just keep an eye out and touch up when needed.
CueBall
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 25 May 2016, 13:19

Oh, really? Just randomly all over? Surely the paint job should have stopped that?

Just rang ABBQ and they said it is a known problem with mine but they've not had a complaint for about 2yrs.
They are sending my pic to GMG and are waiting for a reply.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JBBQ » 27 May 2016, 16:48

hah! I have rust spots all over the place - kinda assumed it would just happen over time to any metal, maybe I've got low standards. Its in a GMG cover and used only under cover when it rains.

Looks like I might have to get the stove paint out then, she needs a spring clean
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice