Thought I knew what I wanted.....but now?!?!?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Thought I knew what I wanted.....but now?!?!?

Postby DaveyDunn » 23 May 2016, 20:12

Hi guys,

We inherited an outdoor space - pub /BBQ arera when we bought our farm. On first sight it looked perfect. There was a huge brick built BBQ, 4'x3' cooking area, a ships wheel controlled the cooking deck - which could be raised/lowered. It all looked perfect. But as time has told like most other things on the farm, it was built without any special knowledge. Upon lighting it - the chimney was too small, narrow and not tall enough to drawer the smoke away. This has led to all the timbers in the roof becoming black (not a problem) with smoke. Anyway - the roof needed replacing - so we're in the process of doing that now, so I thought I would knock down the old brick BBQ and replace it with a gas BBQ and pizza oven.

Here starts my quandary. I read up on whether it should be gas or charcoal.

One opinion stated that if all you're cooking is burgers and sausages, then gas is the best option. Reason being that a burger cooks in 10 minutes (or so) so youre not gaining huge amounts of flavour from smoke - unlike a low n slow joint.

That seemed to make sense, so Ive decided to go down that route. When we have a do with the family - I can be cooking for 15-20 people. When I cook for the farm - I can be cooking for 50.

I did a bit research and fancied the 'Fire Mountain premier 5 burner' for around about £650. nice looks, decent sized cooking area.

Then I went to Costco and saw the 'Duro NXR 6', about the same money, but bigger cabinet / drawer space underneath. Dont really need / want lots of drawers / cupboards - other than it makes it look a bit bigger toy!

Then upon reading on here that Fire Mountain is barely heard of and what's the spares situation like for it......got me thinking again

I've sinced looked at, Landmann, similar models for similar price. Napoleon and Weber seem big bucks for their decent models and theres a plethora of other makes and models.

Can anyone offer me their advice / opinion, makes to steer clear of, models that could be considered. Its been a case of the more you learn - the less you know.

Cheers.

Dave
Durham
DaveyDunn
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Thought I knew what I wanted.....but now?!?!?

Postby essexsmoker » 24 May 2016, 12:57

I don't really do gas, but you can be fairly sure weber will have spares and be around for a few years. They last well too.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Thought I knew what I wanted.....but now?!?!?

Postby TakingtheBrisket » 24 May 2016, 13:53

I'am just selling a brand new unopened weber genesis e330 if you're interested. The rrp is £1599 but am looking for £1000
TakingtheBrisket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice