Advice required

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Advice required

Postby 3 little pigs » 22 May 2016, 22:21

Hi folks,

Stumbled across your forum and guess it's a Brill place to get advice.

A couple of years back, I bought an outback 4 burner gas grill. I really like it for the likes of sausages/burgers etc and have got used to it and can cook a mean sausage :)

I've tried a bit of smoking with it which has had mixed results. Ribs are fantastic - some others not been so good but mostly I find I am going through a he'll of a lot of gas....so am looking at options for a real smoker.

I am a novice and am not too keen on sitting over the smoker for the entire cooking time - so what would you recommend ? Also don't want to spend a fortune but don't want to be annoyed by the limitations of a small unit by next summer and need to buy a bigger one.

I've been reading up on the pellet smokers and saw on amazingribs.com that the green mountain smokers get a good write up.

So my questions are:
1) would a pellet be the best to go for? I guess gas consumption would be a problem and coal will give a lot of temp variation
2) any recommendations? Looking at around the 500 quid mark but would go up if you promise not to tell my wife
3) although gm say you can use it for pizza - will it really give good results?

Thanks in advance
3 little pigs
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Advice required

Postby Tiny » 23 May 2016, 17:19

Welcome old chap,
If you don't want to go the charcoal route then you are headed in the right direction. I owned 2 4 burner outbacks and did some fair smokes on there with just the one burner on and a box of wood chips over it and didn't see too much useage.

Personally found charcoal too stressful for long smokes and I went down the GMG Daniel boon route.

I think it is bloody fantastic and I use it all the time, at least once a week on average it cooks lovely, it can do a pizza but you will need a stone and running it that hot it eats tons of pellets.

but for lo and slow or traditional sausage and burgers I don't think it can be beaten.

I haven't owned a Treacher or an Bradley so cant compare but I think the GMG DB is proper lush, check my sig block :)
Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby 3 little pigs » 23 May 2016, 20:53

Hi and thank for the reply. I guess the pizza thing you cook quickly and don't need to run for v long.

Are there multiple places to buy gm products?

Saw their own website but looks like a horrendous 1 dollar to 1 pound conversion....

Checked ebay but not much there.

Out of interest, any good websites for a noob? Amazing ribs has been good so far...
3 little pigs
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby tommo666 » 24 May 2016, 21:16

The web for GMG in UK is: http://www.americanbbq.co.uk/ akso another place that sells pellet grills is: http://www.gardengiftshop.co.uk/acatalo ... okers.html Traeger pellet grills uk are here: http://www.riversidegardencentre.co.uk/ ... rills.html you can always import from he US if you wish.
tommo666
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice