your BBQ choice for grilling and smoking

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

your BBQ choice for grilling and smoking

Postby ScottishSmoker » 13 Apr 2016, 16:17

Ladies & Gents, fellow smokers and BBQ ers,

I am in need of some advice from you all. I have always grilled and smoked on a small Weber, with just charcoal and wood chips but i'm looking to expand to a bigger rectangular or drum shaped BBQ to fit my new brick outdoor kitchen (to be build in the next few weeks). I want to be able to both grill and smoke.

Smoking and cooking low 'n slow is what I want to spend some more time on, especially since we now have moved from a cramped terrace in Amsterdam to a large garden in Scotland :)

I like the look and size of the smaller offset smokers but I'm wondering if I can use these for grilling too or are (these?) smokers only meant for smoking and not so suitable for grilling? I can imagine most will not have a hight adjustable grill to control temperature.

So I'm just curious which BBQ you would choose. :D
I'm hoping to spend not more then £300,- but depending on your feedback the budget can be stretched.

Suggestions please!

Hoping to hear from you all soon, as I want to have my new BBQ as soon as I finished building the outdoor kitchen.
Warm regards,
Bjorn
ScottishSmoker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: your BBQ choice for grilling and smoking

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 16 Apr 2016, 08:23

To my knowledge offset smokers can't be used as grills too, but I don't know too much about them. However, for £300 you won't get a decent offset and will want to replace in no time. For that sort of money you should look at a bullet smoker - ProQ or Webber (although Webber would probably be more than the budget). Otherwise build a UDS.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby ScottishSmoker » 17 Apr 2016, 11:35

cheers Braaimeester,
From reading reviews allover I came to the same conclusion. I am now indeed deciding between the 2, either the ProQ excel or the largest WSM, weighing up pro's and cons for each also taking the price difference in account.

PS. Where are you from? I have only heard braai either home in Holland or in South Africa, and meester means master in Dutch too :D

reg.
Bjorn
ScottishSmoker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 17 Apr 2016, 13:58

I'm from SA originally. Been in UK since '97 and live in Dorset.

I have the WSM 47 and find that caters well for a small party. I have two Webber kettles too which I use for direct grilling and indirect hot and fast.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 17 Apr 2016, 19:07

As Braai said you won't get an offset for £300, or not one that's worth having anyway.
You probably could use an offset for grilling, but you'd need an entrie tree to feed it and to sit by it all day to do so.

The UDS would be within you budget but you might struggle to grill in it. You'd need some careful design to raise your coals or such like.

If you want to grill too , i believe the pro q comes with stackers, so you could take these out and use as a kettle of sorts? You may be able to do this with the WSM but not sure.

If your budget will stretch you could look at the pellet grills.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby ScottishSmoker » 21 Apr 2016, 18:55

Thanks for your advice gents. Think I decided. UDS for smoking and a build in plateau with grating in the brick kitchen for grilling only.

One more question: How does the UDS compare to the WSM or ProQ temperature and lump wood durability wise? Im asking because I imagine adding charcoal / wood on UDS is more of a job than on WSM or ProQ. How long can I expect a full basket of lump wood (or briquettes) to last in the UDS?

reg.
Bjorn
ScottishSmoker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 23 Apr 2016, 07:59

The guys that use UDS swear by their efficiency and feel as good as WSM or ProQ. Not sure about the refilling ease.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 25 Apr 2016, 13:34

I've had over 10hrs from my UDS with lump and a controller. My basket wasn't full either. Obviously it depends on weather though. You could always build a doors in the side, which is a mod I'm looking to do.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby ScottishSmoker » 05 May 2016, 08:46

So I ordered a 205 ltr / 45 gallon drum and all required pipe fittings etc. and will be assembling the UDS next week.
Bricks for the outdoor kitchen area on order too. Will update when finished.
ScottishSmoker
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Out2lunch » 05 May 2016, 16:06

ScottishSmoker wrote:So I ordered a 205 ltr / 45 gallon drum and all required pipe fittings etc. and will be assembling the UDS next week.
Bricks for the outdoor kitchen area on order too. Will update when finished.

Congrats mate, Ive done exactly the same thing, my parts should arrive over the next few days for my UDS. I look forward to seeing how your build comes out.
Out2lunch
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice