Brisket -help please

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Brisket -help please

Postby rdt123 » 06 Apr 2016, 03:50

Hi all

I've had some great success with my GMG pellet grill so far. Ribs, chicken , smoked sausage etc have been amazing. My two attempts at brisket have been a disaster !

I cooked a flat and larger flat with some of the point both turned out tasty but far too chewy. I rubbed then smoked at 225 until a good bark had formed. At about 165 I wrapped in foil and took the internal temp to 198. After resting it was so tough it could hardly be carved. The next time I didn't wrap and it cooked it through the stall to 193 but same result.

I'm wondering if my thermometer is out and it's undercooked but I can't imagine how they can come out falling apart, I'd settle for that now. Anyone any ideas ?

Rob
rdt123
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Brisket -help please

Postby JBBQ » 06 Apr 2016, 09:06

was it a UK brisket? I have only had problems with UK, success with Ozy or USDA
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby rdt123 » 06 Apr 2016, 11:05

They were from two different local butchers and unfortunately there was very little fat on them. I have an Australia packer in the freezer in the garage but getting it wrong is proving expensive. Each cook has been a 25 quid piece of brisket plus a 15 pound bag of pellets. I then throw the meat in the bin. I tried to salvage the last one with the slow cooker but no avail

When it comes out rigid and hard to carve logic tells me it's overcooked but everything I read tells me it's not done. The internal temp was nearly 200 yesterday but it was only on 9 hours total which seems too quick. I think I'll buy a maverick and see if it agrees with my grill
rdt123
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JBBQ » 06 Apr 2016, 11:59

the only nearly decent UK one I did was at 225 4 hours open, 8 hours covered but the stuff the (brilliant) local butcher has doesn't stand up in the same way as the two Australian ones I tried (before I go USDA); be brave and put the Ozzy one on; have you tried injecting too?
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby rdt123 » 06 Apr 2016, 12:41

Hi no I haven tried that yet. I may stick it on this weekend. It's an Australian one from Tom hixson and looks like it'll feed hundreds. Does it freeze at all well after cooking? (If it doesn't get thrown out !)

Thanks
rdt123
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby GingerBen » 06 Apr 2016, 13:29

I'm not a brisket expert, had the same problems as you a few times but what I have learnt is that the GMG thermometers can be dreadful. Mine shows variances of anything from 20 - 70f compared to my maverick which is more than enough to mess up a low and slow. Also the UK briskets I've tried (small bits from booker up to a full packer) have all been pretty light on marbelling so haven't been as juicy as I was hoping for. The packer I did was the best by far but the flat wasn't great on it, the point was good.

If I were you I'd get yourself a Maverick (so handy for any BBQ IMO) and stick the Aussie brisket on one day with a plan in mind and stick to it. I'd also do a test run of your thermometer and the maverick first to see how far out your temp gauge is. It's also work testing how much the temp varies from one side of your grill to the other - I have a GMG DC and even on a grill that small it can be quite different from left to right - stick the point at the hotter end.

Good luck.
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby CueBall » 06 Apr 2016, 13:46

I agree with GingerBen, get a Maverick to monitor grill temps. My DB always runs 20 - 30c hotter than what is displayed on the controller. I only thought to check this after my first couple of cooks were much quicker than they should have been. I assumed the controller on the GMG would be bang on.

Also, maybe cook the brisket fat side down to give it some protection?
CueBall
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby rdt123 » 06 Apr 2016, 15:03

Thanks so much for the advice guys. It may also explain why whenever I've tried 3-2-1 spares they are too fall apart tender. I'll get a thermometer and report back the difference
rdt123
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby TakingtheBrisket » 06 Apr 2016, 15:19

When it gets to about 195f just check it with a skewer(or like) until it goes in like butter. Sometimes it can be 210f+ before being ready. British beef might dry out due to lack of marbling tho
TakingtheBrisket
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JBBQ » 06 Apr 2016, 17:10

funny my GMG seems to read pretty accurate (not left to right though) I didn't put the wind sides on though so maybe that is the difference?

As for freezing.. I actually think its better after a freeze and reheat... but maybe thats cos you haven't smelled it for 10 hours cooking
JBBQ
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice