Temperature regulation on smokers

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Temperature regulation on smokers

Postby Swindon_Ed » 18 Dec 2015, 22:59

I've been playing around with a few different temperatures ranging from 275f-450f. Although my favorite temp' at the moment is 300f and yes I'm foiling during the cook
Swindon_Ed

Postby jonewer » 23 Mar 2016, 08:36

So I decided not to wait around and just went ahead and bought myself a ProQ Excel 20 and be done with it.

Rather than start a new thread, could anyone offer some advice on the vents on this thing.

Firstly, the ‘handles’ on the vents are almost flush with the body. Is it advisable to bend them slightly outward to allow for easier operation?

Also, what are the recommended vent settings? I have read that the top should always be open and to control temps through the bottom vents. Is this right? Also, should I have all the bottom vents set the same or one full open, two closed etc.?

Thanks.
jonewer
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 25 Mar 2016, 20:00

I'd bend the tab up personally. Not got a pro q but I'd say top vent open and bottom ones equally half open then adjust from there. Once stable stick the food on.
Then make a note for next time.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby jonewer » 01 Apr 2016, 13:57

Thanks,

Tabs duly bent and had a seasoning run and first smoke. I used the minion method with CPL Wonder Briquettes. I found that letting it come up to temp, then shutting down one lower vent completely and twiddling another one was enough to get things stable.

It does hold temperature quite steadily but I had to top up the charcoal after 6 hours or so.

Overall very impressed with the build quality. Some bits seem to be over-engineered like the grill grates which are unbelievably solid and heavy. I'm not impressed with the doors or the vents though, but overall nice bit of kit.

Ox checks are the best!

:D
jonewer
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 01 Apr 2016, 16:39

The vent being equally open might not make such a difference on a bullet as they are underneath and fairly close together, on my UDS it burns towards the more open vent due to dimensions and layout.

I've read that the doors are pants (WSM too). I believe you can get replacement doors of better quality or use nomex gaskets around the edge.

Until you get gaskets or new door try sealing with a roll of tin foil crimped around the edge.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby jonewer » 03 Apr 2016, 10:56

Thanks, which Nomex gasket should I get?

Had a good run on it yesterday. Smoked up a 2.5kg beef shin, along with peppers, chillis, sausages and a black pudding.

Smoked black pudding is amazing! 8-)
jonewer
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice