Smoking on a Kamado?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Smoking on a Kamado?

Postby jonewer » 14 Feb 2016, 15:03

A garden centre near me has a Kamado type grill (King Griller Akorn) on at a knock-down price of £299.

That's by far the cheapest Kamado I have seen, but how do you do a low and slow smoke on these things? There's no baffle or water tray at all.

Is this a potential bad purchase for any reason?
jonewer
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Smoking on a Kamado?

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 14 Feb 2016, 15:38

Have look at the BGE website as a lot of info on there. Principle should be the same.

Effectively a ceramic deflector plate sits over the fire so there is no direct heat. You then keep the temp low by using the vents.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby GingerBen » 15 Feb 2016, 14:40

That is a bargain for sure. I've just bought a kamado and am currently cooking a brisket on it.

Low and slow is done by using the heat deflector plate/s in the low position so that you are cooking indirect. You then manage the exact temp by adjusting the vents to get the airflow where you need it. Mine has been sat between 230-250f since 10:30 this morning and would have been steadier if it hadn't been so windy.

Make sure you can get a heat deflector for it and other accessories if it doesn't come with anything. also check the warranty on the ceramics and other parts. Should get lifetime on ceramics with a good brand.
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Mj2k » 04 Mar 2016, 20:51

Do the ceramics not get black & gungy like the WSM, seems weird to me that the pristine ceramics would get coated with smoker 'gunk'?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mj2k
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Swindon_Ed » 04 Mar 2016, 22:42

Mj2k wrote:Do the ceramics not get black & gungy like the WSM, seems weird to me that the pristine ceramics would get coated with smoker 'gunk'?

They go black inside, but it's more of a soot lining than a greasy build up. A lot of ceramics sell themselves as self cleaning, meaning when you're done with your low and slow cook, pull out the heat deflector and leave it to burn at 450f+ for a while and it'll stay clean inside.

GingerBen wrote:also check the warranty on the ceramics and other parts. Should get lifetime on ceramics with a good brand.

The type of smoker Jonewer is talking about isn't ceramic. It's metal claded around a thin layer of insulation to act like a ceramic, but from what i've heard on other sites, they leak air around the bottom and aren't the best. Personally i'd buy something else.
Swindon_Ed

Postby Mj2k » 07 Mar 2016, 20:00

Swindon_Ed wrote:
Mj2k wrote:Do the ceramics not get black & gungy like the WSM, seems weird to me that the pristine ceramics would get coated with smoker 'gunk'?

They go black inside, but it's more of a soot lining than a greasy build up. A lot of ceramics sell themselves as self cleaning, meaning when you're done with your low and slow cook, pull out the heat deflector and leave it to burn at 450f+ for a while and it'll stay clean inside.

GingerBen wrote:also check the warranty on the ceramics and other parts. Should get lifetime on ceramics with a good brand.

The type of smoker Jonewer is talking about isn't ceramic. It's metal claded around a thin layer of insulation to act like a ceramic, but from what i've heard on other sites, they leak air around the bottom and aren't the best. Personally i'd buy something else.

Thanks Ed.

Think I've gone through the full cycle of choices to upgrade from my WSM, OTG 22.5" combo (will be keeping the Spirit and Smokey Joe). I've gone from a GMG to a Yoder & been shocked at the price, before finally ending up (for the last few days anyway!) to an XL BGE and table; the more I looked, the more I seem to be spending & not even got to the Guru controller for the egg yet to replace my Iq110 which will get sold.

Just wish I hadn't knocked the lid off my OTG when carrying it & chipped the lid coating and put a small dent in it...I've probably buggered the chance of selling it. Is there a market for such a thing & any idea on price?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Mj2k
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice