Smokemare

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Smokemare

Postby SmokeySouls » 31 Jan 2016, 21:29

Hey Guys

I'm still pretty new to smoking and today I had a bit of a nightmare smoking a small Brisket on my new WSM.

I have cooked a 12.5lb Brisket successfully on my BGE and it came out perfect. This weekend my wife bought A tiny 1.5kg rolled brisket from our local butchers which I decided to smoke as I fancied a brisket roll. I assumed because it was so small it would cook in a shorter amount of time but I ended up smoking this little brisket for 10.5 hours at 230F, wrapping it in Kraft Paper mid way when it hit 165F and then taking it all the way to 203F

I allowed the Brisket to sit and rest but when I cut it the inside was quite tough and seemed under cooked like it didn't break down. It had a nice smoke ring but the meat was a dark brown throughout.

Next week I am smoking another 12lb brisket on my WSM but my confidence has been knocked, could it be something to do with the tiny cut not having much fat apart from the top fat or should I consider upping my temp to 275-300F

Any advice will be great

Thanks

Michael
SmokeySouls
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Smokemare

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 31 Jan 2016, 23:51

Lack of fat would be my guess
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 01 Feb 2016, 13:09

I would imagine it was a combo of things. Although cheap will always be harder due to lack of fat.

203 is a guide temp only. It's done when its done... could be up to 210. Did you run a tooth pick through it?

Over all I'd say lack of fat will be your main problem.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby SmokeySouls » 01 Feb 2016, 17:43

I think I learned my first lesson here, hopefully the cook I'm doing this weekend will run as smoothly as the Christmas brisket I smoked.
SmokeySouls
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 02 Feb 2016, 09:35

If you haven't already, check out this resource https://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html

I find it a great help whenever I do a a brisket.

Enjoy your cook this weekend ;)
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice