WSM First time usage

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

WSM First time usage

Postby SmokeySouls » 20 Jan 2016, 14:50

Hey Guys,

My WSM 22.5" arrives on Friday and I've heard to avoid it running hot the first few times, that it’s best to season BBQ a couple of times by burning some off cuts from a butchers (chicken skins, bacon and waste cuts) to ensure it gets a good coating inside.

Excitement has got the better of me and I'm hoping to smoke something on Saturday and thought a couple of chickens could be a good option due to not needing to be at a heat as low as Briskets or Pork Butts. Can anyone confirm whether they had any issues when smoking on their WSM for the first time? I saw somewhere that using the water pan on the first few cooks makes it easier to regulate the temp.

Also, what cook times are people getting from there WSM when fully loaded and with a water pan?
SmokeySouls
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: WSM First time usage

Postby gavinbbq » 20 Jan 2016, 20:35

Hi Essexsmokeout
I remember how excited I was when I got my WSM and you won't be disappointed with it. I did run mine dry the first time just to burn anything nasty off but this step however isn't apparently needed.
Cooking chicken in it first is a great idea, something cheap and easy which will give you a good go at setting up the WSM for smoking.
I use my water pan fully loaded every time I smoke but haven't tried it without it. Temps are really easy to maintain once you get the hang of it, there are a few good videos on YouTube with people showing how to get and hold the desired temps. I would also make sure you get your self some decent fuel and don't use cheap stuff in it.
Have fun smoking!
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 21 Jan 2016, 22:37

I did a chicken in mine first time out. Used the pan but because of that temps were a little low to get a crispy skin, but the chicken was amazing.
I've done a few upgrades to assist with temp control, such as gaskets, and using a clay saucer in the deflector rather than water, but I would start with it as it comes and get comfortable before experimenting.
One thing though, the temp gauge is not accurate, and the best investment I made was a maverick ET732 thermometer with probe for food and for BBQ. Really gives you confidence on those first really long cooks.

Enjoy
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 21 Jan 2016, 22:42

Essexsmokeout wrote:Also, what cook times are people getting from there WSM when fully loaded and with a water pan?

I did a whole packer brisket last weekend. Lit fire at 10pm, brisket went in at midnight, and came off at 2.30pm next day. Temps stable the entire time and no coal added. I used Heat Beads.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice