Smoker Shelter

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Smoker Shelter

Postby roojam » 06 Jan 2016, 11:06

Hi all,

not sure if this is the right part of the forum but seemed the closest bet.

I have a ProQ Frontier and I'm over the moon with it. Completed about 5 or 6 smokes (over the course of the last year) on it with pretty good success but I don't get to use it all year round as my garden is pretty exposed and it seems to always be raining.

Its currently in a corner of the garden with fence panels on two sides to shelter it from the wind and keep it away from the kids. I was thinking about building a kind of cupboard/shelter to keep it out of the rain and wind. First thoughts are to put full side doors on the two sides current exposed and a roof with a guttering chimney to help the smoke escape. Anyone tried this or have any opinions?

Any ideas or opinions welcome.
roojam
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Smoker Shelter

Postby Tiny » 10 Jan 2016, 19:52

Hi, forum is a little quiet at the moment, last year there were some extensive threads on BBQ shelters, everything from a bit of corrugated Perspex to creations I expected to see on George thingummys amazing spaces........In your case I would major on roof and not worry too much about sides, your smoker needs an air intake to keep the fire going at a steady rate so I fear if you box it in too much you wont get the airflow and your fire might turn problematic.

I have an proper awning on the list of home improvements that will extend off the back of the house to cover my GMG danny boy, but current fiscal projections have it in the 2019 budget :(

happy smoking
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby essexsmoker » 01 Feb 2016, 13:24

I would go for a roof and just a pasting table bent in half around the base to stop major drafts but not restrict air flow.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby BraaiMeesterWannabe » 02 Feb 2016, 09:41

I agree with Tiny.

I have a wsm which is similar to the pro q. Because they are not insulated they burn quite cool in the winter, but I find just having the bottom vents open a little wider sorts this out. Also, putting a gasket round the door and between the lid and body of the BBQ helps. Keep the rain off with a decent umbrella on one of those cement stands.
BraaiMeesterWannabe
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice