Cold smoking with the WSM

From pizza ovens to log filled pits, this is the home for all things wood fired!

Re: Cold smoking with the WSM

Postby GingerBen » 12 Nov 2015, 11:53

gavinbbq could you post your cure recipe please? Seen so many different ways online I'd be keen to know what you've chosen to do. really want to try my first home cured and smoked bacon but not sure where to start tbh.
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gavinbbq » 12 Nov 2015, 12:49

Hi I'm curing it with the "My favourite bacon" cure from this website http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?p=cur ... alculators I just input the weight of my pork and then it calculates the amounts of cure needed. Hopefully it turns out ok. Going to try a ham next ready for Xmas.
Gavin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby GingerBen » 12 Nov 2015, 13:18

gavinbbq wrote:Hi I'm curing it with the "My favourite bacon" cure from this website http://www.localfoodheroes.co.uk/?p=cur ... alculators I just input the weight of my pork and then it calculates the amounts of cure needed. Hopefully it turns out ok. Going to try a ham next ready for Xmas.
Gavin

Cool, thanks
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gavinbbq » 16 Nov 2015, 20:19

Just to update on my bacon. I took it out of the curing bag on Friday afternoon which was one day later that I'd originally planned and rinsed and dried then sat it on a rack at the bottom of the fridge. Then yesterday (Sunday) put it on to cold smoke at 10am with some oak wood dust. I'm not sure if I over lit the pro q but it didn't quite last the 10 hours advertised more like 8. I will say that the bacon had an ashtray smell to it which was a bit unpleasant but had faded a bit by this evening after being at the bottom of the fridge for 24 more hours.
Me and the wife just fried a slice and it was pretty good so all in all would recommend the recipe on that site.

gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 17 Nov 2015, 10:14

What was the ashtray smell in aid of? That's weird.
Least it went and you enjoyed the bacon.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gavinbbq » 17 Nov 2015, 13:12

Not sure whether they just needed airing a bit longer after the smoke?

gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby GingerBen » 18 Nov 2015, 09:44

The ashtray smell seems to be common with using the pro-q right after you've finished smoking something. I find leaving things for a few days or vac packing them and leaving them for a few weeks makes a big difference. Just annoying as you want to crack in to things straight away.
GingerBen
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 18 Nov 2015, 10:03

GingerBen wrote:The ashtray smell seems to be common with using the pro-q right after you've finished smoking something. I find leaving things for a few days or vac packing them and leaving them for a few weeks makes a big difference. Just annoying as you want to crack in to things straight away.

Yeah that makes sense, I could smell smoke in my oven for 2 days after finishing my ribs off a while back. Having said that it was an awesome smell, just like the smoke off the bbq. Made me hungry all the time. Lol. That was TBS though not cold smoke.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Previous

Return to Wood Fired