Best size for lump wood for going low n slow?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Best size for lump wood for going low n slow?

Postby Wabby » 22 Aug 2015, 17:05

Hi,

I will be cooking my first shoulder on the BBQ tomorrow. I have done two smaller cuts of shoulder last week and they turned out OK - But this time I am going for perfection.

I am using Best of the West Mesquite Lumpwood, and wondered if anybody can suggest for me the best size to knock these down into? Or if they will be OK to just put on as they are?

I intend on filling the bottom of the BBQ up with these, and then lighting some more in a chimney starter, and placing them directly onto - So that they burn downwards.

Let me know guys - I am up @ 4am to get this cook started :)

Wabby
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Best size for lump wood for going low n slow?

Postby Teknik » 23 Aug 2015, 09:38

Wow they are huge!
Teknik
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gavinbbq » 23 Aug 2015, 10:08

Where did you get that charcoal from? I'd definitely break that down into more manageable pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Wabby » 23 Aug 2015, 10:24

Got it from The Range.

Ended up using the smaller pieces (out of picture) to start the fire, but used the smallest of the large pieces underneath and only had to put extra fuel on once. Used about 1/3 of a bag, tops.

-------------------

Well the meat is cooked.

Ran the bbq @ 250f and put the meat on at 5am. 11:02am and the temp alert is going of telling me I have reached 195f.

I wrapped it at 165f.

Cooked faster than the smaller ones last week, but I did remove the fat cap this time.

Not bad for a first time, now just got to wait for people to get here at around 2 to eat.

Its currently foiled, towelled and in my cooler so I am hoping it stays 'hot' until then?

Rubbed up and ready to go:

Just about to be foiled @ 165f

195f, and taken off :)

Cant wait to chow down!!!
Wabby
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 23 Aug 2015, 15:33

Looks good, well done. Some people stack largest at the bottom and then place smaller pieces on top, the theory is it helps keep the air flow through the charcoal. I used to sort through the charcoal but all I do know is pour it in and then give it a stir, had no problems and load cleaner and quicker. I do pull the super huge lumps out and save those for really long cooks.
JEC

Postby essexsmoker » 24 Aug 2015, 09:09

I just tend to bash the silly big lumps in half. Have used big lumps with no problems though. As JEC said stick big bits at the bottom for good airflow. You can always stack big bits above the basket top.
I try and use smaller bits in the starter for convenience and to avoid running too hot.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Wabby » 25 Aug 2015, 07:03

A few extra picks of cook 1 :)

Wabby
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 25 Aug 2015, 09:47

Good smoke ring! Looks yum!

Did you sauce it?
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice