UDS - Recommendations for oil drum suppliers?

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: UDS - Recommendations for oil drum suppliers?

Postby slemps » 20 Aug 2015, 11:03

That's a good thing. It's the easiest way to get it off and it's wise to do a very hot burn like that to get rid of any residue that may be left over.

I burnt mine (after drilling vent holes) then sanded it with a flap wheel before painting. The sanding took a fair amount of time which is why, when I build another, I will get the barrel from the ebay supplier listed above. They sell unpainted, unlined drums for about £26.

S.
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Teknik » 20 Aug 2015, 11:10

slemps wrote:That's a good thing. It's the easiest way to get it off and it's wise to do a very hot burn like that to get rid of any residue that may be left over.

I burnt mine (after drilling vent holes) then sanded it with a flap wheel before painting. The sanding took a fair amount of time which is why, when I build another, I will get the barrel from the ebay supplier listed above. They sell unpainted, unlined drums for about £26.

S.

Didnt realise they did unpainted as well, i just asked for an unlined one!
Teknik
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby slemps » 20 Aug 2015, 11:33

I'd contact them quick and change it. It will save you hours of work.
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Teknik » 20 Aug 2015, 11:39

slemps wrote:I'd contact them quick and change it. It will save you hours of work.

Too late, i've not only already turned it into a UDS i've also got a little overexcited with the fuel / seasoning of the inside and started an oil fire in it which before i put it out (put the lid on) burnt off most of the exterior paint!
Fortunately one of the companys i work with (I'm in IT) has a shot blaster so i'm going to get it shot blasted at some point.
Teknik
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby slemps » 20 Aug 2015, 12:10

Sorry I thought you'd ordered another!

The paint needs to come off anyway and a shot blaster really takes the work out of it!!
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gingerchris » 20 Aug 2015, 13:24

Nitromors will also make very light work of the paint, especially if you slop it on thick on a hot day.
gingerchris
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Teknik » 20 Aug 2015, 13:33

gingerchris wrote:Nitromors will also make very light work of the paint, especially if you slop it on thick on a hot day.

Thats still more work than dropping it off and picking it up again a few hours later :-)
Espcially since i get the impression that they wouldnt charge for it :P
Teknik
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Kiska95 » 20 Aug 2015, 13:36

Remember even on an unlined drum they spray lacquer inside to protect from rust so a Burn out is essential in all cases :)
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby slemps » 20 Aug 2015, 14:25

Kiska95 wrote:Remember even on an unlined drum they spray lacquer inside to protect from rust so a Burn out is essential in all cases :)

Yes very true Kiska. I wonder if it's on the outside too? One place I asked said they couldn't supply unpainted drums as they would rust in hours. I wonder how Simcox do it.
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Xeno » 20 Aug 2015, 20:56

My first drum came from an Amazon seller but was lined...I then bought a brand new one from some place in the forest of dean..not the cheapest but was top notch heavy steel, they also do stainless steel.

Anyway ..get a blowtorch for removing liners 3/4 of a can of gas soon turned it to powder which wipes straight off.
Xeno
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice