Dirty Steak...

Somtimes it just has to be done, anyone fancy a ribeye?

Dirty Steak...

Postby dannysmith43 » 03 Jun 2015, 22:13

Hi,

So I've only recently joined these forums, been toiling over a new BBQ and I've finally ordered a Weber Kettle (One Touch - not premium) and it's on it's way tomorrow!

So the wife and child are away for a few days, so I thought I'd treat myself to a steak. Went to the butchers at lunchtime and picked up a slice of 21-day matured Rib-Eye. I didn't go on weight, just asked for an inch or so thick.
How to cook I thought? Well, I've read (on these forums) about cookin' dirty! I decided I'd give it a try. Rather than mess around with a BBQ, I just got my trusty chimney starter and one of the wife's oven tins!

So, got home and put the steak on a plate. Added rock salt, pepper and then rubbed in some olive oil. I let it sit for about 30 minutes whilst I got the charcoal going.

I decided to do 4 minutes on either side, I ended up doing 4 minutes on one side and 2 minutes on the other in fear of over cooking it.

So 6 minutes later, I pulled it off and then wrapped it in foil for 10 minutes.

I pulled open the foil, cut it open....looked perfect, medium rare.

Now, I've eaten a fair few steaks in my time. I've had a 32oz Tomahawk from London steakhouse that cost me a bomb, I've eaten steaks in Florida and various steak houses in England...none of them compare to this steak. I'm not over exaggerating, it was the tastiest, juiciest steak I've ever eaten. It was a crime to finish it, I tried to make it last but it just melted in my mouth.

Few pictures below;
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6 ... lder%2cjpg

So thank you all for educating me in the art of, I don't think I'll eat steak any other way, it's just a waste!!!
dannysmith43
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Dirty Steak...

Postby Kiska95 » 04 Jun 2015, 10:59

lovely marbling on that one! Yep done a couple of T bones on the Chimenia in the same fashion and they were beauts
Kiska95
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby essexsmoker » 04 Jun 2015, 21:39

The aging makes an enormous difference. I've done the next best thing and cook on a grate about 1/2 an inch from the coals. Had an Aldi 28 day ribeye (never get any other steak but maybe I should) any hoo it was incredible. Then went to Tesco and got an inch thick job too, nice and marbled. But they are only about 3 or 4 days aged. It was OK but nothing to write home about.
Would love to get the Umai kit and age a whole ribeye joint for about 40 days or something. Must be amazing.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby gavinbbq » 04 Jun 2015, 22:04

A new Aldi has opened by me and I went there just to sort of scope it out, I muse admit their meat looked really good especially their steaks and reasonable price to.

Going back to the topic, I have cooked a few rib eyes on the chimney starter before and they come out ace, really nice crispy fat. I think though that the quality of the beef really makes or breaks a decent steak.
gavinbbq
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 05 Jun 2015, 08:45

gavinbbq wrote:A new Aldi has opened by me and I went there just to sort of scope it out, I muse admit their meat looked really good especially their steaks and reasonable price to.

Going back to the topic, I have cooked a few rib eyes on the chimney starter before and they come out ace, really nice crispy fat. I think though that the quality of the beef really makes or breaks a decent steak.

I really like their meat. Thier steaks are great. Even their standard stuff is 21 day aged. There is quite a difference per kg to the 28 day, 15 quid or 23 I think. I treat myself to 28 sometimes and also if no one buys it they won't stock it.

Yes, thats a 'grate' way to cook it too. Get a small coal grate and stick in over the starter. Very hot. I tend to blow it too to get it ripping!:twisted:
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby slemps » 23 Jun 2015, 11:26

I tried this for the first time recently too and was very pleased with the result. Certainly be trying it again!

A quick note on aging meat too. It seems quite common to find "aged" beef these days but it's worth knowing how it was aged.

If it was dry aged, it will say so "21 day dry aged steak". If it's wet aged, they will just call it "21 day aged steak".

Dry aged is what you want and gives you a good flavour and texture difference. Wet aged (especially for relatively short periods) doesn't really give you much benefit (particularly regarding texture).

Dry aged = humidity, temperature and air flow controlled room, large lumps of meat and a lot of waste dues to the trimming required before selling (hence the price).

Wet aged = cut to size, vac packed and left in the fridge.

S.
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby dannysmith43 » 23 Jun 2015, 14:52

slemps wrote:I tried this for the first time recently too and was very pleased with the result. Certainly be trying it again!

A quick note on aging meat too. It seems quite common to find "aged" beef these days but it's worth knowing how it was aged.

If it was dry aged, it will say so "21 day dry aged steak". If it's wet aged, they will just call it "21 day aged steak".

Dry aged is what you want and gives you a good flavour and texture difference. Wet aged (especially for relatively short periods) doesn't really give you much benefit (particularly regarding texture).

Dry aged = humidity, temperature and air flow controlled room, large lumps of meat and a lot of waste dues to the trimming required before selling (hence the price).

Wet aged = cut to size, vac packed and left in the fridge.

S.

That's good to know, I've never questioned it before! I paid around £26 per KG from the butcher, so I assume it's dry aged, I'll be sure to check it next time I'm there, it did taste good though whatever it was.
dannysmith43
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Jash Monolith » 24 Jun 2015, 11:03

It's a great way to cook steaks. Be creative too, pork chops, lamb chops etc.

Marcus has some great recipes http://countrywoodsmoke.com/tag/dirty-steaks/
Jash Monolith
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby essexsmoker » 28 Jun 2015, 20:15

Dry aged should be quite dark. Interestingly enough aging doesn't make much difference if less than 28. Really aged stuff, 40 days and more starts to get very unique flavours.
essexsmoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby jonewer » 25 Feb 2016, 15:19

So wait, you just plonk the steak on hot charcoal :shock:

OK, so great, but what about the bits of charcoal and ash stuck to the steak and can you do this with briquettes>

Thanks!
jonewer
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Hot 'n' Fast (Grilling)