Cracking Pizza Stone!

Somtimes it just has to be done, anyone fancy a ribeye?

Cracking Pizza Stone!

Postby AndyHull » 25 Jul 2014, 07:11

Morning all,

I have read alot about pizza stones cracking on the Q so was thinking,
Could you not use something like a piece of 1/8" to 1/4" steel plate cut to the same size and shape as the bottom Weber pizza stone?
Just a thought not sure if it would be none sick enough for a clean removal of the pizza at the end though, also not sure it would cook as good as clay/teracotta, and it would need oiling (vegetable/baby :o ;) ) after each use too to stop it rusting!

Andy
AndyHull
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Cracking Pizza Stone!

Postby YetiDave » 26 Jul 2014, 16:22

You can buy Welsh cast iron bake stones :)
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 27 Jul 2014, 05:56

It should work but I wouldn't expect the results to be as good, the ceramic also pulls moisture out of the dough. The Kamado Joe stone is designed for BBQ temperatures and is quite good value for money, I have the BGE version, twice as thick and made from the same material as the Egg, costs twice the price though :?
JEC

Postby YetiDave » 27 Jul 2014, 20:52

I'm not convinced by the that theory really, at 200C+ any water's just going to be vaporised rather than absorbed. I own a baking stone for oven use, but I'd imagine cast iron does just as good a job. Maybe better, if it has greater thermal mass?
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby YetiDave » 27 Jul 2014, 20:59

I shouldn't be allowed on the internet. Now I want a baking steel http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2 ... ivers.html
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Verminskti » 28 Jul 2014, 08:13

$130us seems a lot. I use a weber stone I got in a sale at b&q for £15 I think 2years ago. I don't use it often. I put it in with the bottom vent closed give it 10 and open the vent. Boom perfect pizza in 20 mins or so.
Verminskti
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby YetiDave » 28 Jul 2014, 08:38

No need to pay that much, just call up a machine shop and ask for a plate of 1/2" steel cut to size
YetiDave
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby RobinC » 28 Jul 2014, 09:10

We cook pizzas. on the kettle bbq every couple of weeks, it's a family favourite. Use the weber pizza attachment with the pizza stone and never had any issues with it. I'm sure you could get away with using a metal sheet of some kind but make sure it is pre heated when the pizza goes on it
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 28 Jul 2014, 09:35

YetiDave wrote:No need to pay that much, just call up a machine shop and ask for a plate of 1/2" steel cut to size

It will be cheaper to buy a cast iron baking stone.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby andytraill » 11 Aug 2014, 16:51

I've used a bog standard pizza stone on the very bottom without problems. If anything it gets too hot on the bottom with the base crisping up before the top is done (I'd guess thats where the proper thing helps). I think if I manage to find the right temp and not push it too hard it's be ok. I put the stone on the base grill with the stack and lid built up to act as chimnay.

Think next time I'll do that then take the stack off and just put the lid on for the last bit with the vents open (can go crazy hot though).
andytraill
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Next

Return to Hot 'n' Fast (Grilling)