A BIG FAT BURGER!

Bad Hunter? Post your recipe here.

A BIG FAT BURGER!

Postby Blazing » 10 Jan 2010, 02:17

It will happen!!! a vegetarian will show up at your BBQ, look into your carnivorous eyes, and ask to be fed. (I hear you say P1$$ %FF), But don't get caught flat-footed as a host. This meatless menu preempts the politically correct and will have even the most unrepentant meat-eaters sniffing the air hungrily. Here we have flame-seared Portobello Mushrooms topped with cheese, the vegetarian equivalent of a cheeseburger. Reminiscent of a grilled steak is ginger-studded Grilled Tofu. (Not quite a 20oz rare cooked angus steak) - but these vegi types may like it.

PORTOBELLO "BURGERS"

Method: Direct
Serves 6
Advance Preparation: 1 to 2 hours for marinating the mushrooms

6 large Portobello mushrooms (each 4 to 6 inches across, 8 to 10 ounces each)
3 large cloves garlic, cut into matchstick slivers
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons A.1. steak sauce
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons of your favorite barbecue sauce
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
12 fresh basil leaves, thinly slivered, or 2 teaspoons dried basil
6 thin slices Cheddar cheese (about 6 ounces total)
6 hamburger buns, lightly brushed with a little olive oil or melted butter
1 large ripe tomato, thinly sliced (optional)
1 sweet onion, thinly sliced (optional)
Lettuce leaves (optional)
Mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise, barbecue sauce, and/or relish

Using a paring knife, trim the stems off the Portobellos. Wipe the caps clean with a damp paper towel. Using a sharp object, such as the tip of a metal skewer, make a series of holes in the gill side of the mushrooms, about 1 inch apart. Insert the garlic slivers into these holes, dividing them evenly among the 6 mushrooms.

Combine the mustard, steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, barbecue sauce, vinegar, liquid smoke, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl and whisk until the salt dissolves. Whisk in the olive oil and basil. Pour one-third of the mixture in the bottom of a nonreactive baking dish and place the mushrooms in it, grill side up. Swish the mushrooms around to coat the bottoms with marinade. Spoon the remaining marinade over the mushrooms. Let them marinate for 1 to 2 hours.

Set up the grill for direct grilling using a two-zone fire. Preheat one zone to high, and the other zone to medium so you can move the mushrooms over if they start to burn.

When ready to cook, drain the mushrooms over a small nonreactive bowl to reserve the remaining marinade. Place the Portobellos on the hot grate, gill side down, and grill for about 3 minutes. Turn the mushrooms over and spoon 1 tablespoon of the reserved marinade into each cap. Continue grilling until the Portobellos are browned and very tender, about 4 minutes more. The mushrooms are done when they can be easily pierced with a skewer. If they start to brown too much before they become tender, move them over the medium zone of the grill. After the mushrooms have grilled for 2 minutes on the second side, place a slice of cheese on each and cover the grill to melt the cheese. Lightly toast the hamburger buns on the grill, 1 to 2 minutes.

To serve, place each grilled Portobello on a hamburger bun. Garnish with tomato and onion slices, and/or lettuce, if using, and the condiment of your choice.

Dirty Vegis - I hope you enjoy this!!!
Blazing
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: A BIG FAT BURGER!

Postby Steve » 10 Jan 2010, 18:17

Love it Andy - my father in law is a dirty veggie so I have to cater for him.

I'd really like to din something that I can do low 'n' slow for him though. I've thought about smoking a nut roast but not sure it'll work. Any suggestions?
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby All Weather Griller » 24 Jan 2010, 20:15

Hi Andy,

Great recipe, I will definitely try this.

Although, I do agree with the sentiment Dirty Veggies. I do think they often do it to try you.
All Weather Griller

Postby Blazing » 27 Jan 2010, 21:06

Steve wrote:Love it Andy - my father in law is a dirty veggie so I have to cater for him.

I'd really like to din something that I can do low 'n' slow for him though. I've thought about smoking a nut roast but not sure it'll work. Any suggestions?

A Cabbage - give him a real treat!
Blazing
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Khalsarule » 16 May 2010, 13:31

I liked Frankie Boyle's take on the subject of catering for vegetarians..."Yes there is a vegetarian option...F*uck off!!"

Seriously though, the other half is a veggie so I do have a few recipes that I will add soon. Hello fellow Q fans by the way, its me first post!
Khalsarule
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 16 May 2010, 16:26

Yeah I love the Frankie Boyle response.

its at about 45 Secs (The last one)

All Weather Griller

Postby Khalsarule » 17 May 2010, 23:18

Yes mate that's the one, thank's for posting. You can't really convey the comic timing with the written word. I find him hilarious generally, surprised he doesn't get more airtime...I think some find him a little risque.
Khalsarule
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby All Weather Griller » 18 May 2010, 06:23

Likewise I like watching him and Mock the week etc. I heard that most of the Frankie Boyle type comedy routines are boycotting the BEEB, just leaves the door open for C4 of C5.

My view with all of the TV content is this. If I don't like it I can turn it off or choose something else. I'm not forced to watch anything.
All Weather Griller

Return to Vegetarian