Ugly Drum Smokers

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: Ugly Drum Smokers

Postby BigG » 20 Mar 2012, 16:08

Looking forward to some pics soon of your build, be sure to post plenty, Just finished mine and had two good smokes so far, excellent performance, I wouldn't change a thing.
BigG
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby UltimateHombre » 01 Jun 2012, 14:35

I built my UDS before I found this forum, planning on doing my first smoke this weekend.

I'll post details of the UDS - modified version of Pickled Pig plans - and the first smoke in due course...

It's pretty (yet) but its functional :D
Attachments
UltimateHombre_UDS_sm.jpg
UltimateHombre
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Morgs » 12 Oct 2012, 11:31

At last !!!

"Thar she Smokes!!!"

Two barrel, lid conversion. Dual layer with bored out washing machine drum for grate. So far we've smoked several Chickens, two Butts, and a whole lot of Ribs.

Ribs are by far the winner - I've got them d-own... I'm holding a wallpapering brush which I find invaluable for applying the correct amount of sop !

Yeeee-haaaw

Thanks to all for the input!

Morgs
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby esselle » 12 Oct 2012, 12:40

love it mate!.....where in Leicester are you....I'm near Coalville.
esselle
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby CyderPig » 26 Oct 2012, 12:10

UDS Rotisserie
I am part way through my newest project, a UDS with double rotisserie attachment.
I was lucky enough to find 10 Thermos cordless rotisserie units in thier original boxes at my local charity shop and made an offer on the lot.
The drum is drilled out for the plugs and b/valve and top cut out ready to burn out, I am going to attempt to make some charcoal inside another smaller drum that will be placed upside down inside the drum to be burnt out.
(I saw a thread on this on the Smoking Meat forum under UDS)
I hope to set the units side by side about 2in down from the top lip of the drum, this will give me room to cook on the lower grate also.
Will post pics when completed.

Cheers
Simon
CyderPig
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 26 Oct 2012, 13:56

You lucky Simon you!!!
keith157

Postby Geordie888 » 22 Aug 2013, 14:14

How do you deal with ash? Was going to buy a pizza pan (from somewhere) and mount my charcoal basket about 3 inches from the pan. Trying to find a solid 18/19" pan is difficult though. What about the ash that a) doesn't hit the pan or b) falls through the pan holes?

What kind of fittings are best for intake? Is brass unacceptable? Looking at mild or stainless steel? 3/4 inch?
Geordie888
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Morgs » 25 Nov 2013, 11:38

I used mild/black steel for the intakes... and then used galve nuts for closing them.

Its also worth getting hold of large washers as the curved surface of the drum needs tricking out for an air tight seal.
Morgs
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby aris » 25 Nov 2013, 12:11

Geordie888 wrote:How do you deal with ash? Was going to buy a pizza pan (from somewhere) and mount my charcoal basket about 3 inches from the pan. Trying to find a solid 18/19" pan is difficult though. What about the ash that a) doesn't hit the pan or b) falls through the pan holes?

I got one perfectly sized for UDS from Claas Olsen:

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Metal-Tray/40-7580-1
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Browser » 04 Jul 2014, 22:14

Sorry to be a late addition to this thread, here's one I built earlier;

You will indeed find this ridiculous but I took this pic six years ago and have never fired up the drum in anger, can't really explain why :oops: :? :D

I am determined to rectify this situation this year as the drum is starting to rust and I'd be peeved if I'd gone to all this effort fer nowt!
Browser
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue Reviews