Kamado auplex

Found any hotstuff that you want to tell people about, heres the place to do it!

Kamado auplex

Postby awesselbaum » 28 May 2013, 13:30

Like many of you I have been querying the merits of a Kamado.
Does anyone have any experience of the auplex kamado?
If so can they tell me how they have got on with them and whether the green egg or kamado joe extras fit them?
awesselbaum
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Kamado auplex

Postby Chris__M » 29 May 2013, 16:01

I've got one, although I don't use it nearly as much as my pellet cooker. I plan to do some experimentation with it have this summer - whenever it would deign to start.

The only accessory I have bought for it is the 18" shaped GrillGrates designed for the Large Green Egg (do not mistake them for the 18.5" size, meant for the Weber). They fit my Kamado perfectly, although they have since been pinched for bare-flame experiments with the pellet grill - I can see me buying a Traeger sized set soon.

Anyway, because they fit the Kamado, I suspect most accessories should. However, if you want any specific measurements, let me know.

Other stuff about the Auplex. Both the top and bottom vents are pretty poor. I don't mean they don't work, but the bottom vent especially is thin metal, badly curved, and doesn't slide smoothly. At sometime, I intend to get a friend fabricate something for me, as I am thinking of installing a forced air system. The problem with the top vent (in my opinion) is that it doesn't open as wide as I would sometimes like it to. For this reason, I keep it loose, and sometimes remove it completely - ultimately, I will replace it with something better.

All in all, though, I am pleased (especially as mine was fairly cheap), and the stand in particular is very good. I am not sorry I bought it.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Chris__M » 29 May 2013, 16:20

Remembering that at one point you were asking about low and slow, I feel I should add.

I've only used the Kamado for hot grilling, pizza, breadmaking etc. All my low and slow stuff I do in the pellet grill.

I am sure the Kamado is capable of it, it's just not what I bought it for.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby awesselbaum » 30 May 2013, 09:06

Thanks Chris,

I've been hearing a lot about this lil trager jobby recently. Where do they retail? do you feel limited by having to use pellets rather than your own blocks of wood?
awesselbaum
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Product Reviews