Pointless Flapjack Post!!!!

Pointless Flapjack Post!!!!

Postby SaySausages.com » 26 Mar 2013, 14:13

After reading about the school in Canvey island banning lethal triangular flapjacks I thought I should carry out some research myself.

Using the recipe found on the BBC web site
175g/6oz butter
175g/6oz golden syrup
175g/6oz muscovado sugar
350g/12oz porridge oats
½ lemon, finely grated zest
pinch ground ginger
Preparation method
Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2 and line a 20cm/8in square baking tin with baking paper.
Melt the butter in a medium pan over a low heat. Dip a brush in the butter and brush the baking tin with a little bit of it. Add the golden syrup and sugar to the butter and heat gently. Once the sugar is dissolved and the butter is melted, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the porridge oats, lemon zest and ginger.
Pack the mixture into the baking tin and squash down. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
Once cooked, remove from the oven, leave to cool for 15 minutes.
Now to the extremely serious nature of my investigation, I noted that staff at the school, I would hesitate to say teachers, banned triangles due to having 3 dangerous corners.
Now I was completely blown away after discovering that squares and rectangles had 4 corners! That’s considerably more dangerous than the 3 quoted previously having closely inspected the triangle.
However, to save resources so sparse within our school system I discovered this amazing shape which didn’t have any corners! Can I suggest that from this point on schools save time, and the embarrassment of making such foolish decisions and use what I would like to call a round flapjack and just hope that the kitchen staff are better than the ones I used to have, the sheer weight and dense nature of their flapjacks would cause a concussion!!! 

Surprisingly, no animals were harmed in this post, however tomorrow we will be practicing different techniques to kill using school toast and hard boiled eggs so watch this space!
SaySausages.com

Re: Pointless Flapjack Post!!!!

Postby derekmiller » 26 Mar 2013, 14:48

Ah but you have four corners of 90 degrees, blunt corners they could be described as.
But the triangle has two corners of 45 degrees. Significantly sharper.(would have inserted laughing smilies, but they have been turned off).
Now that round one looks just the right shape to start skimming (skipping) across the water.
What are the waves like at the moment on the South Coast.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Toby » 26 Mar 2013, 15:56

Good 45 degree point!!! Bloody cold and windy so its a little choppy for skimming flapjacks although may try it tomorrow just for the picture!! Have the :lol: ;) :D 's here...........
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keith157 » 26 Mar 2013, 16:15

ARE YOU MAD!!!!! Don't you remember what OddJob did with his hat!!! All we need is some demented schoolboy 007 fan to get hold of these "discs" and MAYHEM will ensue!!!!!! Mayhem I tell you mayhem

I may be overreacting just a tad for comis effect (lol..............who needs smilies)
keith157

Postby derekmiller » 27 Mar 2013, 11:08

[quote="keith157"]ARE YOU MAD!!!!! Don't you remember what OddJob did with his hat!!! All we need is some demented schoolboy 007 fan to get hold of these "discs" and MAYHEM will ensue!!!!!! Mayhem I tell you mayhem

I may be overreacting just a tad for comis effect (lol..............who needs smilies)[/quote]

Would that be MAYHEM in MAY then...............

> Good 45 degree point!!! Bloody cold and windy so its a little choppy for skimming
> flapjacks although may try it tomorrow just for the picture!! Have the :lol: ;)
> :D 's here...........

Smilies are still off and quoting doesnt work either or am i just having a bad day.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Toby » 28 Mar 2013, 09:32

derekmiller wrote:
keith157 wrote:ARE YOU MAD!!!!! Don't you remember what OddJob did with his hat!!! All we need is some demented schoolboy 007 fan to get hold of these "discs" and MAYHEM will ensue!!!!!! Mayhem I tell you mayhem

I may be overreacting just a tad for comis effect (lol..............who needs smilies)

Would that be MAYHEM in MAY then...............

> Good 45 degree point!!! Bloody cold and windy so its a little choppy for skimming
> flapjacks although may try it tomorrow just for the picture!! Have the :lol: ;)
> :D 's here...........

Smilies are still off and quoting doesnt work either or am i just having a bad day.

seems to work here, are you using a new device?
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby derekmiller » 28 Mar 2013, 09:52

No I am not. But its only in this topic that its failing, Tried in another topic and it works fine.
Tried quoting from the topic AND after selecting post reply. The quote appears correct in the dialogue box, but when you preview it, its obviously wrong.
Will try a few other things.
Derek.
derekmiller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Tiny » 29 Mar 2013, 18:41

Chaps,
This is a complex and deep issue. I admire your approach of using the circular flapjack, but this simply wont wash. The losses involved in circles breach the govt guidlines on cereal / porridge efficiency and the usage therof.

What most seem to have missed is that the throwing of flapjacks was a key initiative as part of the ministry of healths plan to combat childhood obesity.

Naturally this was picked up and challenged by those do gooders in health and safety, but in the end the documented risk assesment concluded that because of the lack of sport in schools pupils would not have the requisite upper body strength to hurl the sweet treat with sufficient force to cause injury.

The last I saw on this was a debate as to whether because of the porridge oats content, the throwwing of a flapjack constituted a hate crime against the scottish race.

Complex chaps, very complex.
Cheers Tiny
PLEASE note for the purposes of this post "chaps" should be considered gender neutral and fully inclusive.
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Recipe Blog