Chicken, Ribs, Pork, Brisket preparation and cooking

Feel free to ask any questions, one of the experts will certainly respond, don't be afraid to ask anything, we were all beginners at some point.

Re: Chicken, Ribs, Pork, Brisket preparation and cooking

Postby keith157 » 10 Jan 2013, 06:27

From previous answers to this Toby has cultivated his butcher over many many years. Baby backs are not a regular UK cut of meat for the average UK butcher. There are still baby backs available at some supermarkets ASDA still have racks of "spare ribs" i.e. from the belly but they are quite lean, great as a snack but not what you would get across the pond or in UK BBQ restaurants. If your butcher is a nice willing chap/chappess give him the link to Toby's videos on Youtube and show him what you are after. Then as and when you get them cooked, take a couple into him you may convert him :D
keith157

Postby Toby » 10 Jan 2013, 06:53

getting any ribs over here is roulette, my butchers got those ones from smithfield market, when we found them they bought and stored 20 cases for me but as with everything the source dried up. To be honest I prefer spares and will cut a nice rack from a belly knowing that one rack will have enough meat to feed several people.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MrJaba » 10 Jan 2013, 07:55

Ah I see, thanks for the answers guys. So I should just ask for some meaty spare ribs and/or force feed my butcher until he is a convert? :)
MrJaba
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby slatts » 10 Jan 2013, 13:52

Hi

I got some ribs from Costco's, 4 racks in the package for around £9.00 but I thought 2 was better than the ones from Asda and the other 2 was a bit scruffy and not as good.

Will be going back to Costco's soon and see what they are like again. Picked up some from Asda the other day and found some with some meat across the top of them.

One question about the rib video, you rubbed brown sugar over the ribs then dry rub once the sugar had melted. Would you still put brown sugar in your dry rub? Would the extra brown sugar make any difference or was it just to get the rub to stick better.
That is of course if you use brown sugar in your rubs.

Many thanks
slatts
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby RobinC » 11 Jan 2013, 16:27

Re: Costco ribs. I tend to find that in every pack of 4 there is at least one rack that is on the skinny side.
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Toby » 11 Jan 2013, 20:21

slatts wrote:Hi

I got some ribs from Costco's, 4 racks in the package for around £9.00 but I thought 2 was better than the ones from Asda and the other 2 was a bit scruffy and not as good.

Will be going back to Costco's soon and see what they are like again. Picked up some from Asda the other day and found some with some meat across the top of them.

One question about the rib video, you rubbed brown sugar over the ribs then dry rub once the sugar had melted. Would you still put brown sugar in your dry rub? Would the extra brown sugar make any difference or was it just to get the rub to stick better.
That is of course if you use brown sugar in your rubs.

Many thanks

My rib rub has sugar in too, I dont think you can go wrong with alot of sweetness as long as you have a nice kick to go with it
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slatts » 12 Jan 2013, 09:29

Hi
Thanks for the replies.

Yes I agree about Costco ribs, I found 2 to be a bit scruffy and skinny but the other 2, for me, was quite good.

I slightly altered my rub yesterday, reduced a few amounts of pepper,garlic,onion etc but also added about half a shot of honey jack daniels to the foil, my wife and mate said they was the best ribs ive done so far. I use my rub for chicken in fajitas now and have people asking me to make some for them as they think its better than shop brought.

Really enjoying learning and trying different rubs etc
slatts
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby keith157 » 12 Jan 2013, 09:34

I divide my Costco ribs seperating them into "snack" and meal catagories then vac pac them for the freezer unseasoned as i don't get to Costco very often so buy lots when I empty my piggy bank
keith157

Postby smitty » 31 Jan 2013, 19:14

Toby, where did you get your basting bottle with the brush attached from? I need one of those in my life :D

Dave
smitty
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Toby » 31 Jan 2013, 19:57

That one bust just after the video! I think I got if in the states but have seen them over here somewhere, will have a search tomorrow
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to New To BBQ/Smoking - Help & Advice