Rate my brisket

Good old British Beef, you can't beat it! Of course Brisket is the American BBQ favorite but recipes for any cut are welcome here.

Rate my brisket

Postby thelawnet » 30 Oct 2012, 15:37

Finally got my syringe from the vets, so I have just bought this from the local butchers, it was a whole bone-in brisket and they took the bone off.

Does it look ok, or have they been too severe? Enough of a fat layer?

About 5.5kg as shown.

PS. Anyone know where to buy curing salt on the high street? Do they have it in Waitrose, Morrisons, etc?
thelawnet
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Rate my brisket

Postby Swindon_Ed » 30 Oct 2012, 20:51

Brisket looks good, they've done most of the work trimming the fat back on the meat side.

thelawnet wrote:PS. Anyone know where to buy curing salt on the high street? Do they have it in Waitrose, Morrisons, etc?

The only place i can think you'll have a chance of getting some would be to ask your butcher if they have any bacon curing salt.
Swindon_Ed

Postby aris » 30 Oct 2012, 21:16

You have to buy it online.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby thelawnet » 30 Oct 2012, 22:52

Beef is ready:

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/6050/bbqg.jpg

I put too much injection, or didn't inject it properly or something, because it's pretty wet.

Never mind, hope it won't hurt the bark.

I need it ready to transport at 5pm tomorrow, for consumption around 8pm, so I'm not sure if I can really start the Q till 4amish. :o

The ribs will go on at noon. They don't really keep, but they were £3/kg in Morrisons, so why not... I'll probably eat a rack or two before going out. :lol:
thelawnet
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby thelawnet » 31 Oct 2012, 12:43

The brisket is up to about 190F now. It's been cooking for 8 hours now. Another 2 hours do you think?

I think I will reduce the temperature a little. Around 215F seems like the ticket.

Ribs just gone on.
thelawnet
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby CyderPig » 31 Oct 2012, 16:34

CyderPig
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 01 Nov 2012, 11:18

Looks great how did it taste???
keith157

Postby thelawnet » 01 Nov 2012, 11:40

Taste was :D

I have a whole list of things to work on though.

I was chopping wood at 3:30am which annoyed the wife :oops: Brisket went on at 4:30am and I was going for 250F but it was 275F when I checked it at 7:30am, so I close the vents up a bit. I foiled at around 160F (a bit over) and put some beef stock and Stubbs Beef Marinade on it.

At around 1pm I realised that I was running low on fuel so I lit another half chimney as I think the temperatures were down to below 200F. I had some problems with my wired probe, bit of a cheapo and I don't trust it any more so not completely sure what the temperature was.

I realised I didn't have a cooler to store it in, so I went out at 4:15pm to Morrisons to buy one, having called first to check they had it. They didn't - they only had 99p freezer bags on the checkout, not a proper cooler. Eventually bought one in Argos and got home at 5:15pm. The beef was up to around 208F then.

We ate it around 8pm. The beef was nice and juicy no problems at all, although I think next time I need more beef marinade because the flavour goes very well with the beef. Also more beef stock, as it's better mopped in the juices. Possibly though an issue with my poundland foil though. Not sure if I would be better placing the foiled brisket in a aluminium foil tray while it cooks.

I think it was probably cooked too high to be sliced brisket, I think it was at the 'pulled brisket' stage, but also maybe I had the wrong knife, I had a serrated bread knife and perhaps a chef's knife would have been better. The way I had it is awesome for chili or burritos I think, and definitely not objectively worse as a meal than a brisket cooked like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... LHU#t=541s just different, but I think it would be 'overcooked' for competition style. I don't know if the amount of injection was too much also.

Otherwise I really want a forced draught system, because poking wires and probes through the lid is a pain really and it would be nice to get an indication of when the fuel is running low also.
thelawnet
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 01 Nov 2012, 16:28

Even with a forced draught system (the Ique 110 at least) you still have to poke a probe through to read the temp. Glad it worked out for you.
keith157

Return to Beef