Atomic Buffalo Turds

Got a recipe for a killer 'Slaw or some hearty BBQ beans? Maybe you make some killer ABT's or something more inventive. This is the place to post your recipes.

Atomic Buffalo Turds

Postby Steve » 28 Oct 2009, 16:20

If you go down to the supermarket you'll tend to find only scotch bonnet, bird eye and generic unidentified chillies.

I've tended to use the large red generic chillis for ABT's and they make for good eating, how they'd compare to using jalapenos I don't know. The filling is just what I like to use, experiment ot your heart's content.

Ingredients
  • A number of whole chillies -depending on how many people you want to feed.
  • Some philadelphia cheese, full-fat, light it's your decision
  • Some mature cheddar or similar cheese, I like jarlsberg, emmental and edam as alternatives
  • Some smoked sausage, chorizo is good but equally Matteson's type smoked sausage is good.
  • Chipotle Tabasco
  • Some unsmoked streaky bacon - 1 rasher per chilli (unless you halve your chillis and make 2 ABT's from each)
  • A little all purpose rub

Method
  • Cut the top off each chilli and carefully scoop out the seeds and the stringy bits. Be careful not to break the chillis
    Alternatively you can halve the chillis lengthways and make each ABT out of half a chilli
  • Stick your smoked sausage in a food processer and blitz it to a fine consistency.
  • Add your philly, grated cheese and a couple of drops of tabasco and blitz some more. This is your filling.
  • Spoon your filling into the chilli peppers, wrap each chilli pepper with a rasher of bacon and secure with a cocktail stick.
  • sprinkle the ABT's very lightly with rub
  • Stick the ABT's on your BBQ and cook until the bacon is nice and crispy, and the chillis are soft. I do these indirect, but you could grill them as long as you turned them regularly.
  • Remove from BBQ when done and serve immediately.

A nice spicy side or starter that take very little effort.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Atomic Buffalo Turds

Postby joker smoker » 28 Oct 2009, 23:17

Hi Steve, Have you tried Armadillo eggs? I think this may be one for you. John [Chicago Jack,s BBQ Shack]
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Steve » 29 Oct 2009, 10:35

Hey John, I have just googled armadillo eggs and hell yes it's one for me, I shall be trying those out very soon :D
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Banjo » 19 Aug 2010, 12:57

Steve wrote:If you go down to the supermarket you'll tend to find only scotch bonnet, bird eye and generic unidentified chillies.

I've tended to use the large red generic chillis for ABT's and they make for good eating, how they'd compare to using jalapenos I don't know. The filling is just what I like to use, experiment ot your heart's content.

Ingredients
  • A number of whole chillies -depending on how many people you want to feed.
  • Some philadelphia cheese, full-fat, light it's your decision
  • Some mature cheddar or similar cheese, I like jarlsberg, emmental and edam as alternatives
  • Some smoked sausage, chorizo is good but equally Matteson's type smoked sausage is good.
  • Chipotle Tabasco
  • Some unsmoked streaky bacon - 1 rasher per chilli (unless you halve your chillis and make 2 ABT's from each)
  • A little all purpose rub

Method
  • Cut the top off each chilli and carefully scoop out the seeds and the stringy bits. Be careful not to break the chillis
    Alternatively you can halve the chillis lengthways and make each ABT out of half a chilli
  • Stick your smoked sausage in a food processer and blitz it to a fine consistency.
  • Add your philly, grated cheese and a couple of drops of tabasco and blitz some more. This is your filling.
  • Spoon your filling into the chilli peppers, wrap each chilli pepper with a rasher of bacon and secure with a cocktail stick.
  • sprinkle the ABT's very lightly with rub
  • Stick the ABT's on your BBQ and cook until the bacon is nice and crispy, and the chillis are soft. I do these indirect, but you could grill them as long as you turned them regularly.
  • Remove from BBQ when done and serve immediately.

A nice spicy side or starter that take very little effort.

Going to give this one a go this Saturday. Now, to find a recipe for MOINK balls. :)
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Steve » 19 Aug 2010, 23:20

MOINKS are easy, to do them the "official" way, get some store-bought beef meatballs, cook them in the oven, wrap in streaky bacon, season with your favourite rub then smoke them up. Glaze with sauce near the end and you're done.

I've made my own meatballs in the past, when I've not been able to find them in the shops.
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby joker smoker » 20 Aug 2010, 01:06

sainsbury are selling chillies very similar to jalapenos right now
joker smoker
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby MadCow » 20 Aug 2010, 06:49

I do mine a little differently ... buy meatballs, sprinkle with rub, wrap with bacon and put in the smoker til cooked, then crank it up to hot (or put them on the Egg grill), sauce them and let the go all sticky ... they are yummie and thanks Steve for first introducing them to me !! :D
MadCow

Postby Steve » 20 Aug 2010, 08:16

Jackie, the militant MOINK ball police will be after you for not preparing your MOINK balls in the prescribed manner :lol:
Steve
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Banjo » 20 Aug 2010, 08:46

joker smoker wrote:sainsbury are selling chillies very similar to jalapenos right now

Bought some yesterday - around a dozen for £1.30 'ish

I want to try the cheese filled ones so I think I'm going to have a go at mixing my own.
This is a sort of recipe that seems to be the commonest:

Ground beef
sausage meat
onion powder
garlic powder
bread crumbs
egg
Mix together, form into a ball around a chunk of cheese, wrap with streaky bacon and secure with a cocktail stick. Sprinkle with rub and onto the Traeger for a couple of hours.

As you can see, its pretty precise :roll: so I will try making a few variations - some with Italian herbs, some with chilli, some with pineapple instead of cheese, and some as above.
Banjo
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby MadCow » 20 Aug 2010, 18:05

Steve wrote:Jackie, the militant MOINK ball police will be after you for not preparing your MOINK balls in the prescribed manner :lol:

:o :lol: :twisted: :lol: :o
MadCow

Next

Return to Sides