Advice on buying new BBQ

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Advice on buying new BBQ

Postby Gipsy » 29 Sep 2012, 08:22

Hi everyone. I'm a new member, and I hope I've put this post in the correct place. If not please feel free to move it. I also hope I'm not going over old ground.
The chancellor has given me outline spending permission for a new BBQ to go along with, and live at our static caravan in West Wales. I'm currently using an Outback 100 charcoal bbq which I'd thought to bequeath to my son.
I don't think low and slow cooking will be doable as there are lots of children about, including 2 grandchildren of our own, and when in use the BBQ is going to need looking after at all times.
I'm currently thinking that the Weber 57 cm kettle BBQ would fit the bill nicely. As far as I can see I would be able to cook joints of meat, albeit not low and slow, but also grill as well.
I would value the opinion of you peeps here as to my thoughts, and also any suggestions for alternatives worth considering. Many thanks in advance for your help.
Gipsy
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: Advice on buying new BBQ

Postby RobinC » 29 Sep 2012, 09:16

The Weber 57cm is a great bbq, Are you looking at the compact version, one touch or one touch premium. You can low and slow on kettle albeit it requires more attention than a dedicated smoker and is a bit trickier to control. I wouldn't personally go for anything smaller than 57cm as I think the 47cm are a bit restrictive size wise when trying to cook indirect.
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 29 Sep 2012, 20:17

Have to agree the 57 over the 47 any day
keith157

Postby gazz_46 » 30 Sep 2012, 08:51

Have to agree 57 is very versatile and would also recommend it as minimum, mine has served me well
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Tiny » 30 Sep 2012, 12:04

Hi
I have always resisted the 57cm weber kettle in an attempt to resist its universal domination, but when b+q were clearing white ones for £50 I could rsist no longer......buy one they are very good indeed. if you search the threads I believe there is a 20% discount at bbq world at the moment,

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Toby » 30 Sep 2012, 12:40

When things arent being sold off so cheaply, have a look at the Outdoorchef Charcoal as an alternative to the Weber http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/outdoorch ... grill.html with the funnel system and other odds and sods its worth the money, next year they are launching a hinged lid version!
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Gipsy » 01 Oct 2012, 07:04

Many thanks for the replies. The outdoor charcoal BBQ was one I hadn't seen. I'm a sucker for gadgets, but I do wonder how effective the 2 funnels really are. It sounds perfect, if it does work. Does anyone here have experience of using one, do they really work as intended. One possible benefit of the system would be to allow me to use my large 52 cm paella pan, and 42 cm griddle plate on the unit.
I took a look at the video, and horror of horrors I found myself drawn to the gas powered unit. I don't want to defect to the dark side, but its probably worth thinking about.
Gipsy
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby Toby » 01 Oct 2012, 08:31

The charcoal version only has a single funnel which covers 1/2 the cooking area so you can cook direct and indirect without having to mess around with charcoal baskets. The advantage is the funnel filters into a fat bucket makng sure you avoid the flair ups. This is my charcoal bbq of choice at the moment, just easy throw a joint on and let it go.

We use the gas asconas for Ready Steady Q and Kids Q, they are really safe with the funnel system which makes our life alot easier. they will happily cook anything from large joints to burgers and as you have already seen flip the funnel for your paella dish. I know Keith has an ascona and i am sure he will fill in any gaps.
Toby
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby keith157 » 01 Oct 2012, 13:40

No gaps to fill in, on the gas system the reversed funnel aka volcano position is absolutely the dog's dangly bits for cooking steaks with the grid or for a wok resting it in the hole. The great advantage with the outdoorchef gas is the clean up, burn everything off on high for 10 minutes and the remaining carbon dust brushes off.

Back to charcoal again 57cm is pretty universal the outdoorchef is the same 57cm that the Weber is so my Weber rotisserie fits both. I can swop grids over and mix and match accessories to my hearts (and sadly wallets) content. The build quality of the outdoorchef has to be seen to be believed the frames are

The only problem, which is easily worked around, is smoking on the ascona. Being a kettle withg gas rings a smoker box doesn't work, so you make a foil smoking ring with well soaked chips and Robert becomes a close relative. There is at least one other gas ascona user here who tried "Sammy the smoking snake" with some success :D huge in comparison to others.
keith157

Postby Gipsy » 02 Oct 2012, 06:43

Thanks very much for that Keith. I wonder if I could trouble you to elaborate on the smoking process. Making a foil pouch seems straightforward, and by making it circular I assume you can place it in close relationship to the burner, but not actually touching it. I'm not so sure about Sammy the Snake! Many thanks. Ian.
Gipsy
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews