Premium rib joints

Good old British Beef, you can't beat it! Of course Brisket is the American BBQ favorite but recipes for any cut are welcome here.

Premium rib joints

Postby gazz_46 » 08 Sep 2012, 15:39

Got 2, 1.5 kilo bone in rib joints and was wondering if anyone has some suggestions for tomoz, low and slow or hot and fast??
gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Re: Premium rib joints

Postby London Irish » 08 Sep 2012, 15:44

My favourite joint of meat ever!!!

Fairly hot and fast till internal temp reaches 120 (I like it rare!).
Would keep it simple too...salt and pepper and a few garlic wedges pushed in, sear all over and away she goes :)

You'll have to let us know how you do it now..and a pic??

John
London Irish
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Swindon_Ed » 08 Sep 2012, 19:43

gazz_46 wrote:Got 2, 1.5 kilo bone in rib joints and was wondering if anyone has some suggestions for tomoz, low and slow or hot and fast??

Here is a link to a recipie that i put on here earleir in the year.

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=1744
Swindon_Ed

Postby KamadoSimon » 09 Sep 2012, 09:32

Reverse sear - so cook indirect until you get your desired internal temp minus a level or two of 'doneness' i.e. if you want medium rare, cook until blue or rare.

Then take it off & foil - depending on how quickly you can get your BBQ up to temp, you may want to leave the foil off to stop it continuing to cook.

Get the BBQ up to temp for searing.

Sear each side quickly.

Rest a couple of minutes & slice for perfectly cooked ribs. Mmmmmm....

Thing to be careful of is not cooking to desired temp & then searing - it'll go over from the sear plus the foiling.

Have done this a number of times & it is wonderful. If you want to add flavour to the beef, you can glaze with a BBQ sauce just like you would with pork ribs - I prefer to do this on just one side so it doesn't over-power the flavour of the beef. But my favourite is just to salt & pepper....
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Pecker » 09 Sep 2012, 09:41

Check out this recipe for a condiment.

You won't regret it!

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=2139

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby FlashGordon » 10 Sep 2012, 16:14

Is this different to a rib of beef?

I lucked upon a rib of beef last week, had great marbling, i add. I opted for a slow cook, still pink after i sered it with lots of salt and pepper, have to say it was one of the most amazing bits of meat i've ever eaten (and ive done a few)

Whilst it cooked i have spuds in the oven, which i served with coleslaw, and really think gravy i made from the juices, a roux, and some decent beef stock i'd acquire. All in all a decent meal.

I got the idea from Tom Kerridge (on tv not person) recipe attached.

http://uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/650097
FlashGordon
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby gazz_46 » 19 Sep 2012, 10:46

Guyz & Gurlz

Not entirely sure what cut these actually are but were labled as Beef Rib Joint and were mighty hefty about 2 inch thick and the size of my largest dinner plate, you wouldnt get much more on a plate if it were for a single serving but i reckon you can feed at least two with this size based on the fact i could only manage half...eyes bigger than belly :shock:

Nothing unusual in the way of prepp........tho i did inject with a home made beef stock,
slathered with french's mustard,
sprinkling of season salt,
ground white peeper and granulated garlic,
then SYD rub with a lil' bit extra cayenne.

Cooked on WSM over hickory and apple chunks at 250 degrees until internal temp was 140 then seared on OTG, perfect result, super smoke ring.. ...juicy and smokey with nice beefy flavor and a little hint of spice

gazz_46
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby KamadoSimon » 19 Sep 2012, 10:59

Nice - yep, I've cooked one of those to serve 4 before..... but better for one or two... ;-)

You can also treat like a steak per the method above i.e. cook until desired done-ness on the inside at a lower temperature and then remove & sear to get lovely crisped outside. Then slice thinly. Probably my favourite meal I think....
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 19 Sep 2012, 13:09

That is basically a rib roast - but cut between the ribs to make steaks. One of my favorite!
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Pecker » 19 Sep 2012, 14:12

A single rib cut as thin as the rib will allow is usually 1kg, and that's normally enough for two, unless you want to excessively lardly.

1.5 kg might do 3 of you, but I think it might struggle to feed 4, unless there were kids, 97-year-old Great Aunt Mable, or a veggie involved. :D

Not sure I'd like a smoke ring - maybe just a few bits of oak to make it taste a little moe like it was cooked on a real wood fire. That hint of wood in the crust is quite nice, but 'oaked beef' is not a flavour that has ever taken off like smoked fish or bacon.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Next

Return to Beef