Make your own "Smokenator"

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Make your own "Smokenator"

Postby Pecker » 17 Sep 2012, 13:54

Okay, I'm not paying that much!

:D

There has to be a better way.

So, here are a few ideas, and I'd be interested in comments.

Firstly, I was thinking of buying another pair of Weber Charcoal Holders. From memory they have a 'grate' on the 'open' side (to let the heat out, presumably) and flat, solid metal on the 'curved' side (to stop the charcoal burning the wall?).

Now the footprint of these looks pretty much the same as the smokenator, so I was thinking maybe cut the solid 'curved' side off one of them and flaten it out, then stick it to the 'open' side of the other, thus enclosing it.

Then maybe get a small, cheap baking tray and stick that to the side to make it a bit taller. This replaces the 'side' wall of the smokenator.

Then get a small, deep roasting tin for the water, and another small baking tray to put over the top of the coals; the idea being that, when small tray and water holder are in place, there's about as much open spade left as the holes leave on top of the smokenator.

TA-DA! (etc)

Doubtless there are 101 holes in the plan.

So, a few thoughts. This contraption won't be quite as 'sealed as the smokenator - by which I mean there won't be a solid join between the side and the top. Will that matter, if the gap is kept to a minimum?

I think this is the biggest worry. The Smokenator fits snugly all the way around the Weber. Al the coals are kept in their own little 'room'. With my idea the side wall is straight, not curved, so heat will be able to escape round the sides, as they won't be flush to the Weber's walls.

I could cut out a template in card, then use this to cut out a piece of metal. But that metal needs to be capable of standing the heat without buckling, and easy to cut (which stainless steel isn't). Ideas?

Will the thickness of the metal make a difference? Does most of the heat come out of the top of the smokenator, or does it radiate right through? In other words, is it vital to have 18 gague stainless steel (which is what the official version is made of) or is there anything else that can be used instead?

Could I do away with the water tray and just use a disposeable drip pan? Or would a disposable pan on top of a small baking tray do?

Anyway, any ideas, thoughts, etc, let me know.

BTW, if anyone has a smokenator, could you furnish us with all the measurements?

Cheers.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Re: Make your own "Smokenator"

Postby Riverrat » 17 Sep 2012, 14:17

Been down this road a while ago, I ended up using the fire brick method and have been very happy with the results ( and the financial saving!!!!)

I am sure the Smokenator is a good product and gives good results but I was put off by the price ( without the extra you guys have to pay for shipping to the UK ) Making my own was ruled out because of lack of decent cutting and bending equipment not to mention two left hands in the skills department!!!

I wrap my fire bricks in foil for an easier clean up, they also act as a bit of a heat sink so not really any need for a water pan.
Riverrat
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 17 Sep 2012, 14:58

There was a chap who posted on here trying to sell his car converted to a BBQ - perhaps he could use his fabrication skills to make some of these at a better price. I would think for someone with the correct skills, it would not be too difficult. The item does not seem to be covered by a EU patent :twisted:
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 17 Sep 2012, 15:45

Steve i'm in no way a techie but your plan sem feasible, beside if there are 101 holes in it the smoke is certain to get out ;)
keith157

Postby Pecker » 17 Sep 2012, 18:11

Okay, I've had a thought.

If I stick an oblong stainless steel roasting tray on the side of a charcoal holder, it'll leave gaps at the side, as the tray has straight sides but the walls of the Weber are curved.

Instead of buying a bigger tray and trying to cut it, how about 'filling' the gaps.

I'm thinking some sort of fire-proof sand bag type thing.

Not sure what'd be suitable.

Any ideas?

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Tiny » 17 Sep 2012, 18:31

Steve,
Might just be my lack of craft skills.......but my conclusion......Buy a smokinator!

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Pecker » 18 Sep 2012, 08:35

I'm rubbish at anything DIY. Seriously, Radio Pants FM.

But I'm going to have a go at this. You know, just for t'grin.

I'm thinking I'm not going to end up 'making' anything per se. I think it'll end up with maybe 2 charcoal baskets, one stacked on top of the other, with the bottom cut out of the top one so it makes a double depth basket.

I'll put my coal in there, then place a stainless steel baking sheet between that and the rest of the barbecue. I'm looking for a baking tray as wide as the straight edge of the charcoal baskets and as tall as the gap between the charcoal grate and cooking grate.

I'll then place another baking tray on top of one section of the coals and a water pan on another section, leaving a third section at the end uncovered, which is where the wood chunks will go.

At this stage I'll have to look and see if I need anything to block the sides of the baking tray where there are gaps because of the curve of the bowl.

Still not sure if I'll need the pan - still wondering if a disposable drip pan will work. Maybe on top of the stainless steel trry?

Budget:

Charcoal holders £20
2 x Stainless steel baking trays £20
Stainless Steel Water Pan £10
TOTAL £50

No DIY skills needed, and less than half the price of importing a smokenator.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Chris__M » 18 Sep 2012, 08:54

Note that TBSgrillshop.dk, in Denmark, have the Smokenator on their website, and have the Danish distribution rights.

http://www.tbsgrillshop.dk/Shop/smokena ... -1000.aspx

Now, it may be their Danish distribution rights don't permit them to sell outside of Denmark, but it has to be worth dropping them an email. Their price of 495 DKK equates to about 53 quid. On top of that, you'd pay carriage, but being an EU country, there will be no additional duty/VAT to pay.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Chris__M » 18 Sep 2012, 09:18

Also note that - despite all appearances - this is *not* a Smokenator, but is available from Germany here:

Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Pecker » 18 Sep 2012, 09:21

Cheers Chris - good spots!

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Next

Return to Barbecue Reviews