CDN dual sensing probe thermometer

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

CDN dual sensing probe thermometer

Postby chunkallmighty » 07 Sep 2012, 20:28

Hey everyone, im looking at getting a digital theromometer i preferebly want a oven and a meat capable one. the obvious choice is a maverick unit but they are pricey and hard to come buy this side of the pond but i found this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140843692979? ... 1423.l2649 and wanted to know if anyone has tried one and know how it performs or should i bite the bullet and get a maverick? cheers Adam
chunkallmighty
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: CDN dual sensing probe thermometer

Postby London Irish » 07 Sep 2012, 20:45

Hi Adam,

Personally, I use an iGrill but most of the boys and girls on here use Mavericks and they're the experts so they must be worth the money. I had a quick look at the CDN and it doesn't appear to have a remote receiver like the 732 and the iGrill.
These remote receivers really come into play if you're cooking low and slow and don't want to have to stand next to the Q all day, especially if you cook in the winter!! If you can save a few extra quid, IMO it would be well worth shelling out for a unit with a remote receiver, that way you can watch the tv in the warm whilst keeping a sneaky eye on pit and meat temperature ;)

Good luck,

John
London Irish
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby aris » 07 Sep 2012, 20:49

Looks a lot like my maverick et-85 - sensor is identical, and the screen is very similar. I paid $30 for it.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby London Irish » 07 Sep 2012, 20:52

Sorry, forgot to mention, ETI are bringing out a dual therm pretty soon and that is sure to be a big hit considering their fantastic reputation!! Do a search on this forum and you'll find a bit more info ;)
London Irish
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby chunkallmighty » 07 Sep 2012, 21:13

hey john , i think i was always going to be leaning towards a maverick i would rather pay more and have a decent lasting product at the end of the day , do you know anywhere to buy from in the uk , iv seen the wireless model on amazon for around £60 but there half the price on U.S websites. Ive never imported anything before would i have to pay a import charge or duty fee? any help is greatly appreciated! Adam
chunkallmighty
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby London Irish » 07 Sep 2012, 21:34

Hi Adam,

Mac's do them for £51 including delivery http://www.macsbbq.co.uk/bbq%20accessories%20shop.html

Hopefully someone on here might be able to give you some more info on the forthcoming ETI Dual Therm....

John
London Irish
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby chunkallmighty » 07 Sep 2012, 21:51

Awesome , thanks for the help . i just want take the guess work out of my smoking ive built my own smoker and im just using an oven thermo and a cheapo thermo on the lid and im just splitting the difference in temperature between them at the mo! it aint brilliant lol
chunkallmighty
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby London Irish » 07 Sep 2012, 22:05

Good lad, I'm sure you'll be very satisfied with one of the aforementioned units :D

Without wishing to bust your bank balance, possibly think about a Thermapen too. As good as the wireless units are, it's worth considering an instant read unit as well. You can pick these up on eBay almost half the price for a re-con..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Splash-Proof-Super-Fast-Thermapen-Food-Thermometer-/370644123230?pt=UK_Kitchen_Accessories&var=&hash=item564c1c7e5e#ht_617wt_922

I always probe my meat with one of these when the remote unit says the joint is almost ready for safety reasons (sometimes difficult to get the remote probe dead in the thickest part). And although they state that they are re-cons, mine along with loads of others on here look brand new!!

John
London Irish
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby keith157 » 08 Sep 2012, 08:23

AS John says, pay the extra £15 or so and go for the Maverick. Mac's has great customer service and the Maverick has never let me down. The ETI thermopen on ebay is supposedly refurbished but as I've said before the guy who does them must be a Michael Angelo as there is no trace of mine ever having been out of the packaging. I suspect the reason they are on there is the colours aren't good sellers, I had a choice of Grey and I think Gray.
keith157

Return to Barbecue Reviews