Homebrew pit controller

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: Homebrew pit controller

Postby aris » 08 Aug 2012, 18:46

Got around to configuring th Bluetooth module on the arduino. Paired it with my nexus 7 android tablet, and have it transmitting the current ambient temperature and humidity to the tablet. Next step is a nice frontend on the android device to make it look pretty.

Next step, get some probes and test with that.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 08 Aug 2012, 19:31

Wow if I understood half of what this topic is about I'd be gobsmacked at the inginuity of the forum's members, as it is I'm just confused and impressed ;)
keith157

Postby aris » 08 Aug 2012, 19:44

Honestly its not that complicated. Ok, I work in IT - but still, any hobbyist who is patient and can follow instructions could figure it out. The arduino is really quite easy.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Chris__M » 09 Aug 2012, 16:04

aris wrote:Man, this is so fun it is not funny. Easy peasy to program too (and i'm not a professional programmer).

That is exactly what I try to explain to people who suggest "easier" ways to achieve the same thing by buying a premade unit.

Life is a journey, not a destination.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby aris » 12 Aug 2012, 10:27

New little addition to the kit - found an infra-red proximity switch. I will rig this to point to the pit lid - when the lid is off, it will hibernate for about 5 minutes or so and not activate the fans due to the inevitable temperature drop.
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Chris__M » 13 Aug 2012, 00:18

Love it.

I keep thinking of adding a switch of some kind (either pressure, or a paired led and detector) in my hopper to tell me if I am running low on pellets, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 13 Aug 2012, 05:16

I'm surprised it doesn't have one as standard :o
keith157

Postby Chris__M » 13 Aug 2012, 09:14

I believe that some of the newer more sophisticated brands do - the GMG pellet grill comes to mind.

However, mine is an absolutely basic Traeger Lil' Tex - basic apart from my modifications, that is.

At one point I was sorely tempted into upgrading, but I get a kick out of playing with this one, and making improvements.
Chris__M
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby nwaring » 22 Aug 2012, 18:41

Aris,

Just catching up on recent posts... I'm using ET-732 probes - let me know if you want the Steinhart Co-efficients.

As you've now got an Arduino, it is worth checking out the HeaterMeter code... it's origins are from the Arduino but now uses a custom PCB (still with Atmega chip) rather than the Arduino board. But, there is no actuall need for the custom PCB and shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't load up the HeaterMeter sketch onto the arduino and see what happens... if you've got a couple of probes connected is should pretty much work out of the box.

I too saw the bbq fan / blower on ebay... I ended up building my own from some 0.5mm stainless steel sheet which can either be powered direct or via my controller - you can see my project here https://plus.google.com/photos/107180048373287304553/albums/5766182367025051713

Nick
nwaring
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby aris » 22 Aug 2012, 20:28

Thanks nick. I have seen the heat meter and it is a class act! Way above my skill level!

My arduino project will be much simpler - and doing it myself will be more fun :-) I at break it off trait o a bare amtel chip to keep costs down - but aruinos are so cheap now - particularly aftermarket nanos, that I'm not sure it is worth the hassle.

I think I will be using et-73 probes - there is already some code flying about. Feel free to post any info you have - may always bea good reference.

I have a nano on order which I will use for my UDS build. Watch this space :)
aris
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue Reviews