Weber Pizza Oven

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: Weber Pizza Oven

Postby Pecker » 12 Jun 2012, 09:09

Just a quick update.

This item is now apparently delayed until 2013.

I understand the problem is with the handle on the top getting too hot (not sure how accurate this is).

The idea of the 'slit' in the front is that hot air comes through vents at the back of the oven and is forced over the top of the pizza and then out of the front of the lid. This means you get a very high temperature in the air on top of the pizza, so you aren't left with a cooken base and under-cooked topping.

I'm not sure if the slit is big enough to slide a pizza in, but if you have a 'sigificant other' to hold the lid open for you I think they'd only need to lift it a few inches to get in. Even if you open it fully the air should get very hot almost immediately.

Hope this helps.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby keith157 » 12 Jun 2012, 09:29

Thanks for the update :D
keith157

Postby Tom99 » 05 Jul 2012, 13:49

I bought one of these as my b'day treat the other month http://www.kettlepizza.com/ and can honestly say i think it is fantastic and probably the best extra I have bought for my bbq after the chimney i bought a few years back. As well as making great Pizzas, it can be used with an extra rack to double the cooking space as well if you wish, or you can use the extra height for bigger joints that don't need a real low n slow method.

I can't compare it however to just a pizza stone on the kettle as I never explored this option, I went straight to the kettle adaption method, as adding the wood really gets the temp to soar and therefore cook the pizzas incredibly quickly (4-6 min) with a nice thin crisp base.
Tom99
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Postby bencops » 06 Jul 2012, 13:09

bencops

Postby thelawnet » 16 Jul 2012, 10:45

Tom99 wrote:I bought one of these as my b'day treat the other month http://www.kettlepizza.com/ and can honestly say i think it is fantastic and probably the best extra I have bought for my bbq after the chimney i bought a few years back. As well as making great Pizzas, it can be used with an extra rack to double the cooking space as well if you wish, or you can use the extra height for bigger joints that don't need a real low n slow method.

I can't compare it however to just a pizza stone on the kettle as I never explored this option, I went straight to the kettle adaption method, as adding the wood really gets the temp to soar and therefore cook the pizzas incredibly quickly (4-6 min) with a nice thin crisp base.

I do a full chimney of charcoal with a small log of wood stacked on the top and it gives fantastic pizza in about 5 minutes.

I did pizzas on the Outdoor Chef (gas) at Toby's yesterday and they were not as good, I think lacking crispiness because of the gas vs. charcoal profile. However doing four it was good to keep the temperature at 650-700F for 4 pizzas, because I'm sure on coal it would have lost a lot of heat by that time. I find at home that the second pizza takes a little longer than the first but have never gone beyond that, would be worried about lost heat.

I see that beyond perhaps ease of loading/heat retention they advertise more heat to the top of the pizza. I haven't really had a problem with that; I put an egg on and it comes out nice and soft after 5 minutes, but I guess it would be an enhancement and if money is no object then... Otherwise just a pizza stone for £10 does a fine job.
thelawnet
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 17 Jul 2012, 12:28

Pizza stone for £10??? I have been looking for an oblong one 12" by 15" and cant seem to find much under £35 so if you know of el Cheapo pizza stone vendor would be keen!

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 17 Jul 2012, 13:50

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ProCook-P ... 2c66adace6

I think you'll pay a fortune for an oblong one.
keith157

Postby thelawnet » 19 Jul 2012, 21:09

keith157 wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-ProCook-Pizza-Stone-Rack-38cm-15in-Official-ProCook-eBay-Outlet-/190701219046?pt=UK_HomeGarden_Kitchen_Cookware_GL&hash=item2c66adace6

I think you'll pay a fortune for an oblong one.

I have that one, or very similar. Wife bought it for me, so not sure the exact supplier.
thelawnet
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Tiny » 20 Jul 2012, 15:30

Did pay a fortune for an oblong one, I fear the boards are wearing down my Weber aversion, have purchased the Weber oblong pizza stone which comes with a nice stainless steel tray to make the pizza on....£35 of your earth pounds so hope it is good.

Cheers
Tiny
Tiny
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 20 Jul 2012, 18:06

A darn site cheaper than the Outdoorchef :cry: :cry: :cry:
keith157

PreviousNext

Return to Barbecue Reviews