Short rib rack

Good old British Beef, you can't beat it! Of course Brisket is the American BBQ favorite but recipes for any cut are welcome here.

Short rib rack

Postby Minesamojito » 19 Jun 2012, 06:41

I love this cut of beef, so tender and moist, with a great deep beefy taste, and a few decent sized bones to gnaw on caveman style. I usally ask for a rack of 3 or 4 short ribs with a good cap of meat and fat on.

I used a slabs beef rub I had been given to try by steve, and rubbed this in deeply into the meat and fat, and then popped on my frontier, with some cherry and maple wood smoking, and cooked at 140 deg C for 3 hours, a little hotter than usual, but it worked really well. I took the internal temperature of the meat up to 80 deg C and then mopped with some Jack Daniels BBQ marinade. and left for another half an hour for this to set.
I allowed it to rest for 15 minutes, and served in great thick slices with some pickled gherkins and beer.
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Short rib rack

Postby KamadoSimon » 19 Jun 2012, 07:14

They look amazing - struggled to find a butcher who could / would get them in for me this time of year. But have found one now so will be trying something similar soon.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Minesamojito » 19 Jun 2012, 08:26

Thanks dude, look forward to seeing how it turns out from a ceramic.
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby awesselbaum » 12 Jul 2012, 09:19

Can anyone recommend what beef ribs (and their american names if possible) I can get readily in butchers in this country and what to ask for? If they know what kinda prices they paid as well, so I know whats good and whats not.
awesselbaum
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby KamadoSimon » 12 Jul 2012, 09:37

They are beef fore ribs in the UK. The price you pay will depend on lots of things. I think I just paid about £8 for a single rib with plenty of meat (more than enough for two people).

EDIT: although depends where you are in the country - as even within the UK some cuts have different names....
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby awesselbaum » 12 Jul 2012, 10:43

Just checked out Devon rose and they do bone in shoulder of Pork, Jacobs ladders, baby backs and Brisket!
awesselbaum
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Minesamojito » 12 Jul 2012, 18:30

great quality meat too, have had some bits and pieces from there and really enjoyed them
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby JEC » 16 Jul 2012, 08:11

awesselbaum wrote:Just checked out Devon rose and they do bone in shoulder of Pork, Jacobs ladders, baby backs and Brisket!

Not found these guys before, prices seem good too which is a bonus.
JEC

Postby awesselbaum » 16 Jul 2012, 11:15

Got this email back from Devon rose: (obviously he didn't know st louis ribs should be spare ribs.... however still looks good)

If you would like items prepared in a special way (I have noted below) then simply request it in the special instructions part of checkout (final page before clicking finish)

Some specifics:

· Brisket (with a fat cap on the top) : http://www.devonrose.com/shop/beef/join ... -flat.html Add a note to “keep a 1” layer of fat on this cut”.

· Beef short ribs: http://www.devonrose.com/shop/beef/join ... -ribs.html

· Tri Tip http://www.devonrose.com/shop/beef/stea ... e-8oz.html When ordering this place a note to the butchers to say “use bottom sirloin”.

Pork

· St Louis Ribs http://www.devonrose.com/shop/pork/join ... -ribs.html Add note to the butchers to “remove the tips of the ribs, the sternum bone and all cartilage so the shape is more rectangular”.

With regard to mutton, the answer is yes. Just let me know what cuts and we will be able to supply.

With regards to turkey, we do have plenty of availability including whole birds with around a weeks notice. However out of the Christmas/Thanksgiving and Easter seasons these will be barn reared and will not have the same welfare standards. We do have free range breast available but this will be frozen stock.

I hope the information helps but please feel free to come back to me if you would like any further information.

Best wishes

Richard
awesselbaum
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby Saucy Pig » 02 Nov 2012, 23:02

I've got some beef short ribs and 4 racks of baby backs coming this week from http://www.devonrose.com/. I just really hope they turn out to be ok. The prices seem very good even delivering from Devon up to Stoke.
Mostly I just want something consistent to cook with. Its really tough to nail down cooking times when you're cooking different versions of the same thing all the time.
Saucy Pig
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Beef