New way for the good old baked spud

Got a recipe for a killer 'Slaw or some hearty BBQ beans? Maybe you make some killer ABT's or something more inventive. This is the place to post your recipes.

New way for the good old baked spud

Postby keith157 » 13 Aug 2011, 10:37

Get some good baking potatoes, either bake them in the oven or microwave, it really doesn't matter.
Slice them lengthways about 1/2" thick when cold. Once the BBQ is under way, brush with garlic butter or flavoured oil, I stay away from Olive Oil as it adds another flavour season to tase. Then simply grill, turning a few times to get "grill-marks" or just until crisp. Cheap, easy and tasty.
keith157

Re: New way for the good old baked spud

Postby Riverrat » 15 Sep 2011, 12:57

Hey, nice idea and makes use of the grill while you cook the steak!
Riverrat
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby London Irish » 11 Jul 2012, 11:12

I like this idea Keith, going to try it next time and then do what I sometimes do with jps, scoop the flesh out and mix with meat juices and cheese. Your idea will add extra flavour.....thank you (not for the first time!) :D

John
London Irish
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby Pecker » 11 Jul 2012, 11:38

Great idea.

It's funny, I've always thought that we had plenty of choice of meat & fish with barbecues, and the vegetable recipes are quite common, too. But potato recipes are a little harder to find.

You can't barbecue rice, pasta, couscous, or noodles - well, you could maybe put them in something, but you can't balance the individual grains of rice on the cooking bars - you can't fry chips, or do mashed poatoes for the same reason, and roast potatoes again have to be done in some sort of tray.

This looks like a great, real barbecued poato dish.

I've done something similat with sweet potatoes - cut into discs, part cook (microvave, or bake becore cutting up), then finish on the barbecue. Great with all sorts of herbs & spices. Chilli powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, definitely s&p. I'm sure you can add whatever seasoning you want to these, too.

Keith, how long do you find you need to grill these for, from cold?

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Postby keith157 » 11 Jul 2012, 11:54

Not being funny it depends on how thick the slices are and what heat is left in the coals, usually a couple of minutes per side rotating them to get good grill marks adds to the enjoyment. If you paint them with garlic butter the slight flare-up crisps the edges nicely.
keith157

Postby KamadoSimon » 11 Jul 2012, 13:46

not sure what happen here - trying to work out how to delete... ;-)
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby KamadoSimon » 11 Jul 2012, 13:46

Pecker wrote:Great idea.
roast potatoes again have to be done in some sort of tray.

you can do that, but you can also:

- cut into small-ish cubes;
- par-boil on the hob (I sometimes skip this stage, but it means the potatoes are on the BBQ longer);
- when drained, but still in the saucepan, drizzle olive oil over & sea salt & black pepper - stir or shake a little to get good coverage;
- make a double-wrapped foil pouch, into which you place the now-covered-in-oil spuds;
- sprinkle over some rosemary (or other herbs - but rosemary is my favorite to do);
- seal the foil pouch (I sometimes sprinkle over a little sugar - just adds a little extra crispiness!);
- place on the BBQ - at the side so it's not too direct heat.

The key to getting the lovely crunchy bits which form on the bottom is to make sure that you have a big enough foil pouch i.e. don't over crowd it.

You can also:
- use a cast iron skillet on the BBQ to do crusty lovely spuds;
- smoke whole potatoes for a while & then wrap in foil to cook;
- smoke thick-sliced potatoes & finish off with a direct drilling.

We find potatoes takes on the smoke really well.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby RobinC » 11 Jul 2012, 14:01

i've done something similar with a mix of potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Cube them (1cm cubes)
Put them in a foil tray with some olive oil, S&P and rosemary.
I then position under the grill grate between the coals (so cooking indirect) and normally cook a piece of lamb on the grill so that it drips into the potatoes. Take about an hour or so to do.

Re Peckers post earlier. I have cooked noodles on the BBQ in a wok. I regularly use skillets, frying pans, dishes, saucepans to cook stuff on the BBQ. Can't say that it necessarily benefits from being on the BBQ but certainly doable.
RobinC
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby Pecker » 11 Jul 2012, 15:32

I'm doing jerk chicken with roast sweet potatoes and plantain.

I've just got in and haven't time to fire up the Weber, and dark clouds are gathering overhead, so I'll be cooking it in the oven.

I like the potatoes in foilpouch idea - might stick a few of these in too, if I get chance.

Steve W
Pecker
Twisted Firestarter
Twisted Firestarter

Return to Sides