Cast iron grates - worth the money?

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

Re: Cast iron grates - worth the money?

Postby KamadoSimon » 11 Jun 2012, 09:04

Cooking on cast iron is definitely different than cooking with stainless steel grids. Am just about getting the hang of it now - after 10 or so cooks with it. I guess the heat retention is much better & that leads to a shortening of cooking times for fast grilling - certainly for steaks. The sear marks are as good as you would expect though!

The maintenance is a bit of a pain - I spray them before & after each cook. It's the after that's a pain - because I normally remember right before I am ready to hit the sack! ;-) My wife bought a little spray bottle which we filled with vegetable oil & we just spray on & wipe down after each cook. Even doing this & the fact that they come pre-seasoned we have had a little rust in a couple of places. This just wipes off & gets covered in oil. I am hoping that once they get a good build-up on them, this becomes a little less effort.

I've only used the griddle once - to be honest I think I'll use this the least although the flat side would be good for bacon & eggs when I get around to doing a BBQ breakfast. The wok is great for smaller & thinner items & I've used this a number of times - in fact this lives in the Kamado Joe along with two grill grates.

Steak on cast iron Craycort grates on the Kamado Joe:

Steak on cast iron Craycort grates on the Kamado Joe:
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby keith157 » 11 Jun 2012, 09:37

Great news, I may even venture into a set, however I have the Outdoorchef C I grill & griddle. Despite seasoning it as I have done with other CI pans, as per manufacturers recomendations, wiping it with oil it's stil a burger to use ( ;) ) and clean up. Having it on a gas grill I tried to get it to a very high heat to carbonise any residue (there was lots :( ) but still have bits stuck on.
I'll persevere though this "season".
keith157

Postby uncle albert » 08 Apr 2015, 22:11

Bringing an old thread back to life.....

Simon - do you still use your Craycort much?

I have just ordered a set of grills + 2 griddles + lifter for my large BGE. They look really quality.

Anybody have any tips on good products to elevate them if required for temperature control . The only product I have seen is the 3 leg spider in the US but it does not look ideal.

Cheers

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
uncle albert
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Previous

Return to Barbecue Reviews