WSM on the back deck

Please feel free to post reviews of new barbecues, gadgets and of course food. The opinions within the forum are not necessarily that of the web site owner!

WSM on the back deck

Postby Dsorgnzd » 27 Oct 2009, 19:36

Nothing fancy, but it does the job.

Dsorgnzd
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Re: WSM on the back deck

Postby All Weather Griller » 28 Oct 2009, 17:43

I love the handle Mod. Does this have another handle on the other side?

I love my WSM, they are a doddle to run. Have you seen the bigger one.
All Weather Griller

Re: WSM on the back deck

Postby Dsorgnzd » 29 Oct 2009, 03:55

Yes, it has two handles. I set the middle section beside the charcoal bowl and load the meat, then plug in the probe(s) for the thermometer. Once that's done, I dump the lit coals onto the unlit charcoal (for a Minion Method start), pick up the middle section and set it atop the charcoal bowl and we're off. Without the handles I used to have to dump in the lit charcoal, set the middle section on, and then load the meat and put in the thermometer probes (working in smoke from the now-burning fire). The handle mod is very easy since it makes use of the existing bolts that hold the inner brackets (no holes to drill).

I have not seen the larger WSM except in pictures. The extra space would come in handy when cooking ribs (which I now usually cut into half-slabs and cook with a rib rack), but I really don't need the capacity of the larger model. As it is, 99% of the time I'm only using the top rack to cook.
Dsorgnzd
Still Raw Inside
Still Raw Inside

Return to Barbecue Reviews