Sea bass with garlic ginger & rice wine

Feeling fishy? Post your fish dishes here.

Sea bass with garlic ginger & rice wine

Postby KamadoSimon » 10 May 2012, 20:19

Sea bass filets - actually filleted them myself this time - pretty badly ;-)

Chopped an inch or so of fresh ginger & three cloves of garlic & then layered the filets with the garlic & ginger on the flesh side. In the fridge for half a day or so. Half hour before cooking I poured over some rice wine.

My wife cooked some rice then stir fried it with par-boiled carrots & leeks along with some soy sauce & honey.

Just before we were ready to eat I grilled the fillets on the Kamado Joe using a raised grill & some cherry wood for smoke.

Totally made up - but a very fresh tasty meal.

And for once, I didn't use my phone to take the photographs... ;-)

KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Re: Sea bass with garlic ginger & rice wine

Postby JEC » 11 May 2012, 06:34

Have you considered getting a wok for your Joe, I've got one on my list for the Egg. Made me hungry again!!
JEC

Postby KamadoSimon » 11 May 2012, 06:52

I have. Weirdly I was just looking at them yesterday - we have one already but not the traditional sort without a saucepan handle. I was looking at one of these: http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/karah ... 5912-p.asp

Inexpensive - but would do the job in conjunction with the metal stand that Kamado Joe's come with when you buy the heat deflector.

But then part of me thinks, would it add any flavour to what was being cooked compared with just using the wok indoors? Don't know the answer to that, but I am guessing not. So then it's just using it for the sake of using the Kamado.... Or am I wrong?

Was also thinking of a paella pan - really fancy mastering that & there are a couple of good companies in the UK selling authentic Spanish equipment.
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby JEC » 11 May 2012, 11:46

They go mad for Woking on the BGE forum so I'm guessing it adds something to the flavour, I haven't done it yet either but if I already had it lit and wanted stirfry veg etc... to go with my meal I'd probably use the egg instead. Will check out that website looks interesting.
JEC

Postby keith157 » 11 May 2012, 14:11

Don't have a ceramic cooker, but have a "holey wok" i.e. a colander with a handle :lol: I have to say the veg tastes better on the Weber then it does on my indoor cooker with a standard wok. Must be some flavour transfer of some kind :?
keith157

Postby KamadoSimon » 11 May 2012, 14:17

Yep - I see the fact that you'll get some flavour transfer if you cook in something which has holes in and thus smoke can get to the ingredients. But the woks I see people cooking on in the BGE forum do not - they are standard woks. So the transfer of flavour will be minimal I would have thought. I'll have to try & see if it makes any difference - it's hardly a chore! ;-)
KamadoSimon
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Return to Fish