Low and Slow Mutton Shoulder

Lamb, mutton, game.... Zebra, Ostrich, Crocodile. Whatever the meat, if you have a recipe, feel free to post it here.

Low and Slow Mutton Shoulder

Postby Minesamojito » 25 Feb 2012, 22:00

I was given a wonderful shoulder of mutton from my friends at Pitmans Farm with the caveat that it was one of their older sheep, and would take a lot of cooking, so I thought what better way to treat this large hunk of meat but cook it low and slow on the hot smoker for the afternoon.

I made up a wet rub with an ancho chilli, some oregano, sea salt, a couple of allspice berries, some black pepper, a little white wine vinegar and some water to loosen the mix. I blitzed this in my spice grinder and then rubbed into the mutton.

I fired up the smoker and hot smoked the shoulder for 7 hours until it reached a temperature of 170 deg F and so was well done, usually I’d go for medium for lamb, but this needed some proper cooking. I would ideally have liked to cook it a little more, up to 190 deg F, but the meat was so tasty, succenlent and tender I was more than happy.

It was perfect served with home made flat breads, coleslaw, and some “Holy Fcuk” chilli sauce.
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Re: Low and Slow Mutton Shoulder

Postby keith157 » 26 Feb 2012, 08:44

Looks great, I think you did the right thing by pulling it at 170, it may have dried out a bit by 190.
keith157

Postby Minesamojito » 26 Feb 2012, 09:43

Thanks keith, it had a serious amount of fat around the meat, so i doubt it would have dried out, but as it was an older sheep might have tenderised it further still so it could have pulled?
First time i've tried mutton so I was on the cautious side.
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 26 Feb 2012, 10:15

Just going off low n slow in an oven. Glad it worked out, there are threads relating to pulled lamb shoulder, bear in mind it's the connective tissues not neccessarily the fat you are trying to break down (the sinews that hold the muscle groups together....the chewy bits in school lunch stews ;) )
I have a rolled shoulder of Llanwenog hoggit (about 18 months old at slaughter) in the freezer so you have certainly stirred the culinary juices!!!
keith157

Postby Minesamojito » 26 Feb 2012, 10:19

Rolled shoulder of Hoggit on the smoker, sounds good. The rub I used was pretty good with the meat, gave it a little fruity bite from the ancho, and was a good alternative to the usual anchovy/rosemary/garlic or mintier sauces.
Look forward to hearing how you get on with yours.
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 26 Feb 2012, 13:14

Thanks it'll be a week or so, the current project is a 15Lb rolled leg of Pork on the rotisserie ( a weber spit on my Outdoorchef ) pics n details to be posted when it's done and eaten.
keith157

Postby Minesamojito » 26 Feb 2012, 13:21

Oh yes, that'll be so good, love this forum, so many like minded outdoor cooking nuts, most people think i'm off my head cooking outdoors at this time of year. Glad to find i'm not alone.
Cheers
Marcus
Minesamojito
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Postby keith157 » 26 Feb 2012, 17:01

It's seasonably warm for the time of year so make the most of it ;)
keith157

Postby ConorD » 24 Mar 2014, 20:47

Am looking at smoking a shoulder of lamb at Easter but am interested to understand what temp you cooked it at.

Everything I have done with lamb before has been based on oven times and also at ~160c. Normally this would be covered as well and I see no point in smoking something covered.

Any advice welcome.
ConorD
Rubbed and Ready
Rubbed and Ready

Postby slemps » 12 Aug 2015, 08:07

I cooked a lamb shoulder in my UDS a coupe of weeks ago.

Cooked at 280-300F and it took about 4 hours to reach 203F internal. Smoked with Pecan wood.

It pulled so easily and was very juicy. The best thing I have cooked on the UDS to date.
slemps
Got Wood!
Got Wood!

Return to Other Meats